Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year!!! Can you believe that 2008 is already over???

Normally Thursdays on the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blog will be designated to A Taste of Romance or in regular terms, snippets of our current works in progress. But the first day of every month represents a change in our monthly theme. This is a time for our blog authors to introduce you to a topic that will dominate 2 or 3 of our weekly posts throughout the month. With January being the beginning of a new year, we have decided that Goal Setting would be the perfect theme to start our new blog adventure. We look forward to hearing your comments and experiences.

For me, setting a goal is the best way I can designate the importance of something. The past three years have been completely crazy with my husband going back to college to earn a degree. Then when the textile company I worked for closed their doors at the beginning of this year, I suddenly found myself back in school at the same time. This was definitely not in our master plans, but we don’t always get to choose the course our lives take.

With the hectic path I am on, I know that if I didn’t want to let the little things I love to do (such as reading, writing and even taking bubble baths) fall to the wayside; I have to make these activities a priority. The way I do this is by setting daily, weekly and monthly goals. On my personal blog, I have a day designated to reviewing book. This ensures that I get to read at least one book a week. For my exercise plan, I have the next two months typed up for how many miles I’ll run per day and how many days of the week I’ll run, walk, or do aerobic exercise.

This sounds simple enough. Yet, for some people, setting goals is like pulling teeth. They would rather have a root canal than have this huge To Do list looming over their heads. Whatever type of person you are, I’m sure you will find some useful tidbits on goal setting throughout the month of January from one of our fabulous authors. Check back often for a plethora of tips and facts brought to you by the ladies of Petit Fours and Hot Tamales.

Have a fabulous new year!!!

Tami Brothers

13 comments:

Missy Tippens said...

Happy new year! Good luck on the exercise. That's my hardest part.

Missy

Ana Aragón said...

You are my idol!

I usually run by the seat of my pants (which is why I believe my daughter is so organized--out of necessity!) but this year I'm going to take a different approach.

You heard it here first! This year I'm going to make small and attainable daily, weekly and monthly goals. I'm going to concentrate on doing the important things first. And I'm going to save plenty of time for resting and rejuvenating.

Happy New Year to all!

Ana

Debbie K. said...

Sounds like a very organized approach!
Debbie Kaufman

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Ladies,

It sounds organized in the beginning. About July, I have to revamp. But that's another post...grin...

Hope you all have a fabulous start to the new year!!!

Tami

Trish Milburn said...

Happy New Year, and congrats on the new fun blog. I'm bookmarking it so I can get back to chat with you lovely ladies when I can.

J Perry Stone said...

Oooo, I'm all about goal-setting, resolution-writing and basically starting out the new year with an anal retentive trajectory.

As such, thus far I've:

-scoured the house
-reorganized the pantry,
and
-made my kids go through every last toy in their possession to determine whether they've played with it in the last year.

And while Tami and I might at this point sound like sisters, by MY July, the floors will feel like the beach, I'll be chucking canned goods in the pantry and shoving the kids' toys under their beds.

Best laid plans ...

J

Abigail said...

Congrats Ladies! This is really cool. You have been added to my faves!

Kaye Chambers said...

What a great blog!

I just went through the goal setting road here. While I was doing it, an old friend called and the conversation turned to writing, as it so often does since we're both in the trenches.

She pointed out that if I wrote 1000 words a day, I could have a long novel finished in time to give it two read through edits within three months.

Not a master at math, it never occurred to me to look at it that way.

Reading, writing, exercising...2009 promises to be a year full of fun changes for us all.

What's your big goal?

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Everyone,

Welcome to the blog. We hope to pass on just a little of what we've learned from the wonderful writing organization that we are all a part of.

Kaye asked about my big goal. I actually had to stop and think about that one. I would love to complete another novel. But I'm trying to be realistic with the new job starting in the 20th and full time school. So, I will work towards that.

But my big goal will have to be making my family time a priority. I feel that if I'm happy in my home life, the other should fall in line behind that... Sounds like a wonderful idea if I can just keep it in mind!!!

Tami

Missy Tippens said...

So, Tami, you're still in school?! Good luck this semester!

Missy

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Missy,

Thanks for the well wishes. Last semester was a killer with my families health issues. This year is definitely looking up. I'm sure I will be crazy busy, but as long as we are all healthy, I'll take it...

Best of luck with the new book you have coming out. I will definitely be grabby a copy... If it's anything like your first book, I know I'll love it.

Tami

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, Tami! I'm doing the last edits on it now. :)

Missy

Missy Tippens said...

Actually, I just typed that wrong. Not the line edits. Those are done. This is the galley (the AA). So it's the last time I'll look at the book. Kind of nerve wracking! :)