Friday, April 17, 2009

The Petit Fours and Hot Tamales Welcome Special Guest Chef Natasha Moore!

We are happy to welcome Natasha Moore to the blog. Natasha is an NEC award-winning author of erotic romance for Ellora’s Cave and Red Sage and steamy contemporaries for Samhain Publishing. Read on to find out more about Natasha Moore and leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for her latest book: The Passion-Minded Professor.

Let's start with the important stuff: tell us about your latest book.
Natasha: My second contemporary romance from Samhain, The Passion-Minded Professor will be released in print April 28th. It was my take on the absent-minded professor and love potion #9 with a bit of opposites attract thrown in there. This is the blurb:

Can passion be found in a bottle?
Roxy Morgan is finally in control of her life. After working in the family diner to put her now ex-husband through law school, she’s getting her own chance at a college education. She doesn’t need any distractions in her life right now, especially men. The strong magnetic pull she feels toward chemistry professor Dr. Daniel Jennings is more than just an annoyance—it’s threatening her GPA. Yet she can’t seem to keep her mind on her studies, or her hands off him.

Driven, lonely Daniel has been working to perfect an attraction elixir so he can finally find what’s been missing in his life: passion. Sassy, outgoing Roxy wasn’t supposed to be part of his experiment. It was purely an accident. Now his elixir has given him an unexpected side effect—he’s fallen in love. But his sense of honor nags him to tell her the truth about the “love potion”.

Even if it means risking the best thing that’s ever happened to him.

Ah, to be at the mercy of a sexy professor—that sounds like fun. Where can we find The Passion-Minded Professor?
Natasha:
It’s available right now as a download from e-book sites like My Bookstore and More and Fictionwise. It’s even available for the Kindle from Amazon. And the print book is available for pre-order from sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and from your local bookstore.

On your website, you advertise "romance with a little more sizzle." Care to elaborate?
Natasha:
Well, what happens when you cook up something hot? It sizzles in the pan, right? I love to add a little to sizzle to my romances, but still give readers a good story and emotions that will tug at their heartstrings.

What brought you to write erotic romance and steamy contemporaries?
Natasha:
I wish I’d discovered erotic romance years ago! I love writing hot, sexy scenes that leave my characters vulnerable to the emotions they may not be able to speak out loud. Contemporary seems to be where my voice works best, but I’m leaning toward a few paranormal ideas. And my next release from Ellora’s Cave is a futuristic. So I guess I’m writing all over the place. I hope my readers won’t mind, because I’d hate to limit myself to only one type of book.

What is the greatest challenge of being a "hot tamale"?
Natasha:
Striving to get better and better with each book I write. And making sure all the love scenes are necessary and specific to my characters. No generic love scenes in my books.
Tell us a little about a day in the life of Natasha Moore. How did you establish a writing routine?
Natasha:
Routine? What makes you think I have a routine? LOL I still work a full-time day job, so I work in writing whenever I can, breaks and lunch hours during the day. Then I try to get a couple hours in every evening and a few more on the weekends. I’d probably write more than that, but my husband likes a little of my time too. (We won’t talk about the housework.)

I’m so relieved to hear the housework can go. Since having enough money to hire a maid is my second wish behind publication, tell us about your first sale. What was that like?
Natasha:
My first sale was the best thing ever! It was for my contemporary romance, The Ride of Her Life (Which just won the 2009 NEC Readers Choice Award for short contemporary! Yay!) It was September 29, 2006. I couldn’t sleep because I had an earache, so I got up and took a couple aspirin. I decided to check e-mails while the pain reliever kicked in. I opened an e-mail from a Samhain editor with my manuscript title in the subject line. My heart began to race, but not too much. After all, I’d gotten tons of rejections before. It started out “I've had the opportunity and pleasure to review your manuscript … I thoroughly enjoyed the novel…” I was waiting for the “but”. But there was no “but”! There was an “and” “And I want to offer you a contract”!! I had to read it over several times before I really believed what I was reading. She was offering me a contract. She’d even attached the contract! I’m bouncing up and down in my seat at this point. It’s 1:30 in the morning and we were living in an apartment building at the time, so I couldn’t scream at the top of my lungs. I did wake up my husband, but after he congratulated me and fell back to sleep, I was awake the rest of the night. The earache? Never bothered me again.

Do you have any funny stories about the road to publication?
Natasha:
Most of my writing friends think it’s funny that I started out trying to write sweet romances for Harlequin and ended up selling erotic romances to places like Ellora’s Cave and Red Sage. Like I said before, I wish I’d discovered erotic romance a lot sooner!

Do you have any advice for fledgling writers?
Natasha:
Keep Writing and Keep Reading. The more you write, the better you get. I’m a firm believer in that. It’s like a pianist who takes lessons and plays for hours every day – you have to practice your craft. Thinking about writing isn’t writing. Writing new words on the page is writing. And when you finish something – start something new. And I consider reading as research. Read the kinds of books you want to write – learn from them, what the author did right and also from what might not have worked for you. Then read all over the board – learn from those authors as well. Keep writing and keep reading. Don’t give up. I have a quote up on my bulletin board that says, “The only thing that can take you out of the game is you!”

You wrote a great post on one of your blogs about the difficulties of writing beginnings. Would you like to add a gem of advice here? (For the full article, go to http://fierceromance.blogspot.com and check out Natasha's entry "Another Opening" from April 6th)
Natasha:
Thanks, I’m glad you liked it. I see so many contest entries where there is what I can only call an information dump in the first few pages. I’d just like to stress that you need to put readers in the middle of the action and let them figure out things as they go along. Readers love to put the pieces together themselves. Don’t cheat them out of that by telling them everything up front (besides, it’s boring).

What is your dream project?
Natasha:
Hmm, that’s an interesting question. I have a few ideas that I would love to develop into long, multi-layered novels. One would be a darkly erotic story with a gothic atmosphere and an old house said to be haunted and a hero who is said to have killed his fiancé. I hope to get a chance to start that one this year.

Gothic atmosphere and haunted houses mixed with dark erotica? I can hardly wait! In the meantime you've generously offered to give away a copy of your book The Passion-Minded Professor? What do our readers need to do to qualify for that?
Natasha:
I just got my author’s copies this week! They are so beautiful, soft and pretty and… Well, anyway, I’d love to give away a copy to one person who leaves a comment today. Please remember to come back and check, because I’ve posted winners before and asked them to contact me with their name and address and I never hear from them. I really want to give a copy!

Well, Natasha, thank you for such and interesting and informative Q & A session. We’ve certainly enjoyed having you here today. Loyal readers, please post your comments and check back this evening for Natasha’s answers. Don’t forget to check back on Saturday to see if you are the lucky winner of The Passion-Minded Professor.




17 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Awesome answers, Natasha!!! I LOVE your website. It has a very sexy feel. And thanks a ton for a look inside your writing life. I never get enough of that excited feeling when people tell you about their first sale.

I am definitely intrigued with your Passion Minded Professor. This sounds like a fun (and sexy) read!!!

Thanks a ton for blogging with us today. We LOVE having you over here!!!

Tami Brothers

Debbie Kaufman said...

Morning Natasha:
Thanks for blogging with us today. Hmmm, publication as an earache cure. Can it do anything for the common cold?

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Natasha,

Thanks again for a great interview. I wanted to add my congratulations for being a finalist in the Passionate Plume contest! Good luck to you.

Also, you all need to check out Natasha's blog

http://fierceromance.blogspot.com/2009/04/another-opening.html

and read the opening of Natasha's novel Ride of Her Life. It has a great first line:

The day Dean Bastian walked into the bank was the day Sarah decided she was no longer going to be sensible.

Thanks again for being with us--I really enjoyed getting to know your work.

Sally

Sandra Elzie said...

Hi Natasha,

Loved your post today! It's always interesting to hear that someone loves to write all different types of books. I've only published one book, but I've written one time-type travel, a long woman's fiction, even one about a crusty cop...from his POV.

Thanks for taking time out of your schedule...oh, and if you're worried about the dust bunnies ganging up on you? My suggestion is to get a Roomba...a little round robot thing that runs after the bunnies for you. I've had mine for a week and don't know how I ever lived without him. (g)

Sandy

Marilyn Baron said...

Thank you for blogging with us. Your new book sounds great and I love your title.

Thank you for your advice especially about loading your beginning with back story.

I also enjoyed learning about your writing life, first sale, etc.

Marilyn Baron

Anna Steffl said...

Thanks for blogging! What a great new book you have. I'm so looking forward to reading it.

CiCi Barnes said...

Thanks for blogging with us today, Natasha. Love the blurb on your new book. I'm ready to buy! Smart guys can be a real turn-on and I look forward to reading it.

CiCi

Carol Burnside said...

Natasha,
Great to 'see' you here. [g]

I know you won't be able to chime in again until after your DDJ (dreaded day job), but I also wanted to congratulate you on your recent contest final. Oh, and for the award ROHL won. That was a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Way to go!

For those who don't know, the recent final Sally and I refer to is this:
Natasha's "Sunrise", which is part of the Ellora's Cave anthology, Jewels of the Nile II, is a finalist in the Passionate Plume, the Passionate Ink's (chapter of RWA) pubbed erotic romance contest.

Loved your first sale story. As for writing in different genres, I don't think your readers will mind. Good writing is always appreciated and with you they're guaranteed a hot read and yummy heroes, like in Quinn's Curse. (sigh) Sooo romantic!

What I'm always amazed at with you is how fast you think up new stories and get them written. I'm in awe of you, girlfriend!

Keep writing. We'll keep buying and reading.

J Perry Stone said...

You said you write:
"hot, sexy scenes that leave my characters vulnerable to the emotions they may not be able to speak out loud."

Thank you. I cannot stand sex only for sex's sake. There has to be emotion. But you've gone beyond and made it another expression of inexpressible emotions. Gimme!

Lastly, I think your Gothic, haunted house idea sounds spectacular.

I'm glad you have no more earaches. I'm waiting for "the call" to get rid of my cold.

Ana Aragón said...

Hi, Natasha,

Congrats! It's great to hear other first sale stories. We have some great writers here on PFHT that will be telling us their stories soon!

Your newest idea sounds like a winner. And I'm impressed you can get so much out with the day job. I need your whip!

Best wishes and thanks for blogging for us today.

Ana

Natasha said...

Yay, I'm home from the day job!

Tami, thanks for having me today. I'm so pleased to hear you like my website. I do it all myself and I really don't have a clue what I'm doing, so I'm glad it might look as if I do :)

Hey Debbie! You never know, publication may be the cure for all kinds of ills!

Thanks, Sally. It was a fun interview! And thanks for the plug for the Fierce Romance blog. I love being a part of that group - as I'm sure you guys love your group.

Natasha said...

Sandra, I've never heard of a Roomba. I'll have to check it out - anything to get rid of all those dust bunnies :)

Thanks, Marilyn. Um, that was NOT loading your beginning with lots of backstory lol

Anna, thanks. I hope you enjoy the story!

Natasha said...

Cici, Daniel was defintely a fun hero to write. He's not your typical alpha hero, but he proves that those beta guys can be hot too!

Hey, Carol!! Thanks for the congrats. And you know, somehow I just can't stop all these ideas! Thank God I don't seem to be running out any time soon :)Thanks for hooking me up with your blog, this has been fun!

J Perry, I agree, sex for sex's sake gets boring fast. But what a great way to learn about our characters :)

Ana, I don't know about a whip...although, you know, I do write erotic :) Now that you all like my gothic idea, I'm going to have to find the time to write it!

Susan May said...

Natasha,
Thanks for all the great info and being here today. Your love of romance shows through. I look forward to reading your books. I hope I win a book!

Jeanmarie Hamilton said...

Natasha,
Enjoyed your fun blog and loved your publishing story. Why do those most important emails wait for night time to show up? Bonus that it cured your ear ache! :-)

Congratulations on the contest and on the books!

Jeanmarie

Lynn R. said...

So, here's the funny thing about reading this blog today, and seeing that the contest is for a copy of "The Passion-Minded Professor" - that was one of my choices YESTERDAY in either the "Win an E-Book" or the "Win a New Print Book" on the Samhain site!! (I don't remember which one I put it in, but I DID choose it!) Talk about timing! One can only hope ....

Thanks for the interview!

Later,

Lynn

Natasha said...

Susan, I do love romance! Can't imagine life without it :)

Jeanmarie - I find myself checking my e-mails all the time. Hey, you never know...

Lynn, that's so cool. I didn't know it was being offered over on the Samhain site too. I'll have to check it out!