Monday, July 13, 2009

Harry Potter is Coming!

By Tami Brothers

Harry Potter is coming! Harry Potter is coming! Or should I say, Harry Potter will be here in TWO DAYS!!!

Can you tell I’m excited about this? It has been two year since the movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, was released. That’s a long time for fans. I know I’ve been chomping at the bit waiting to see how Hollywood translates the Half Blood Prince from the book I love so much.

Still, this isn’t the longest I’ve had to wait for a Harry Potter release. I discovered the book series right after the first movie was released in November 2001. There had been some hype about it in my small Wyoming town and I decided I might as well see what it was about. I immediately fell in love with the story and went right out and bought the first 4 books. Although the Goblet of Fire was released in July of 2000, fans had to wait until June 2003 for the Order of the Phoenix release. That was torture! But, I completely understand JK Rowling’s personal life was filled with a wedding and a baby. Still, I was glad to have the Chamber of Secrets movie release in November 2002 to break up that long wait.

Just because I’m such an HP nut, here are is the release schedule for the books and movies (you know, to give you a better idea of how much time we had to wait in between each release).


  • The first book, The Philosophers Stone, was released in June 30, 1997
  • The Chamber of Secrets book (2) was released June 2, 1998
  • The Prisoner of Azkaban book (3) was released July 8, 1999
  • The Goblet of Fire book (4) was released July 8, 2000
  • The Sorcerer’s Stone movie (1)released November 16, 2001
  • The Chamber of Secrets movie (2) released November 15, 2002
  • The Order of the Phoenix book (5) released June 21, 2003
  • The Prisoner of Azkaban (3) movie released May 31, 2004
  • The Half Blood Prince book (6) released July 16, 2005
  • The Goblet of Fire movie (4) released November 18, 2005
  • The Order of the Phoenix movie (5) released July 11, 2007
  • The Deathly Hallows books (7) released July 21, 2007
  • The Half Blood Prince (6) movie release July 15, 2009
  • The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 movie (7) slated to release November 19, 2010
  • The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 movie (7) slated to release July 15, 2011
  • AND don't forget the opening of the Universal Studios Harry Potter Theme park - set to open in 2010

That is a lot of release dates! As of 2008, the books have sold more than 400 million copies, creating a phenomenon in the publishing industry. Talk about cool. At the time of the fifth movie release, the Harry Potter series had become the highest grossing film series of all time. Wow! Don’t we all want to have this kind of success in our writing one day?

Of all the books, I think my favorite is The Half Blood Prince. In this book we get to see Harry fall in love with Ginny (I totally saw this as a possibility way back when I read/watched the first movie) and the dynamics of Ron and Hermione’s relationship. This book is all about the conflict with the love stories as well as the conflict between Harry and Voldemort. I could (and have) read this book over and over again. Which is why I am thrilled for the movie release.

Since I could go on and on and on, I’ll leave you now with a really neat video of the movie trailer with some of the “making of” details.





Although I won’t be attending the Tuesday midnight premier (I have to work and take a test for my Business Finance class the next day), several of my friends will be. I envy them. But, we still have the final two set to release in the next couple of years. I will start planning for those now!

This leaves me to wonder how many other Harry Potter fans will be standing in line waiting for the clock to strike midnight?


12 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

Good morning Tami,

Interesting blog. You are like so many that are "in" to HP. Maybe I'm older, maybe ???, but I've never read one of the books nor seen any of the movies. (Who knows, I might be the only one in the universe who hasn't)

However, I've bought all the books
for my granddaughter who is a huge fan.

But, I under the concept...except it was Star Wars. (g)

Good Luck on the upcoming exam.

Sandy

Debbie Kaufman said...

Morning Tami:
I will be at the theater within a day or two of its opening. Been looking forward to it for a while now.

Sandy: Are you kidding me????? Girl, what are we going to do with you. You and I will talk tomorrow over coffee!

Marilyn Baron said...

I love Harry Potter too, obviously not as much as you do, but. Both of my girls will be seeing it at midnight as soon as it opens. I'll probably wait until the weekend but I'm looking forward to it too.

I always hoped Harry would get together with Hermione.

Great post. I loved the trailer. I didn't know there was going to be a Harry Potter theme park.

Marilyn Baron

Sally Kilpatrick said...

I feel your pain. I,too, discovered Harry Potter after the release of Goblet of Fire--but only a few months before the release of Order of the Phoenix. The part that almost killed me was waiting for the Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows.

I'm not as excited about the movies, but hubby and I are planning a double feature night soon with Public Enemies followed by Half Blood Prince.

Great post!

Sally

Maxine Davis said...

Hi Tami,
Hope the test is a breeze!

HARRY POTTER!!! I think I am the #1 Sr. Fan! Started reading them when they first came out and have read and reread and reread them all. May read Half-Blood Prince again. My HP movie partner is in France for the summer (yeah, poor her!). Don't know if I'll go now or wait until kids are in school and I can go 'uninterrupted.' I think JK Rowling is brilliant, along with Agatha Christie.

Iknow some will say silly girl, but I have all the movies and yes, will have Half-Flood as soon as it is avail.

I'm with you on all of this post!!!

CiCi Barnes said...

Sandy, you are not alone. I've never read an HP book nor seen an HP movie. Not sure why, just never felt the urge. But I can understand the excitement.

Star Wars and Star Trek movies, any Nora Roberts or Linda Lael Miller series of books, and NCIS and 24 weekly TV shows. They all have me waiting with anticipation.

Hope the upcoming one is as good as you anticipate.

CiCi

Anna Steffl said...

I read the first three books ASAP, waded through the fourth, picked up the fifth, but never finished it. Not a commentary on the books, but on my utter lack of devotion to long series. Kind of explains my indifference to TV. Still, I'm thrilled that books have excited this kind of passion in people.

Linsey Lanier said...

I'm like Sandy -- I've never read the books or seen the movies. But I've heard the buzz. :) We may get the DVDs and watch sometime.

Guess Debbie will have to take me for coffee, too. LOL.

I do watch Miss Marple on GA public television. They had a good one on last night.

Linsey

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Sandy,

I know there are people who haven’t read the books or seen the movie. Even though I know this, it still always surprises me. But I understand because there are a ton of classical books I have never read (yet) that I hear are very good. I am just a huge fan of ANYTHING that can bring the masses to a book store at midnight just to pick up the book as soon as it is released. I highly recommend reading it if only to see how well JK Rowling does with the premise and the world building.

Hey Debbie,

I’m bummed I have to wait so long, myself, but that is life. I’ll be thinking of you when I go see it. I’ll have to e-mail you and compare notes on how well you liked it!!!

Hi Marilyn,

Yep, I’m a HUGE fan. There were a few times, while waiting for the different books to release, where I was to the point of obsession. I LOVED the world and would make up my own stories about the world. I was actually surprised to see different fan sites dedicated to this very phenomenon and that JK Rowling herself would visit the sites and make comments on the different stories.
I had a whole different trailer with some neat behind the scenes information on it but I got up at 6 am this morning and saw that the embedding wouldn’t work. So I had to scramble to get a new one that I knew would work… It’s still a really great trailer…

Hey Sally,

A kindred spirit!!! Yeah!!! I know what you are saying about having to wait. That last book was the hardest. BUT I think she did an awesome job of wrapping things up. Maybe not exactly as I would have done it, but there again is the difference in reading the author’s perspective…

Good luck with the double feature!

Hey Maxine!

I can totally see you as an HP fan! Too bad about your move partner (yeah, poor her…grin….). You are more than welcome to go with me and my son, but just know we will have 4 other boys tagging along (in wizard robes and wands). Too fun and I can’t wait.

And no, I would NEVER say silly. In fact, I have all the books, all the movies (that are out so far) and all the books on cassette tape. I’m so bad that I’m even considering getting them so I can download them to my MP3 Player. Now THAT is silly….grin….

Hey Cici,

I can’t believe you haven’t read one, especially with you being a teacher. I highly recommend them just for the neat school world JK Rowling has created. I honestly would LOVE to go to school at Hogwarts. The teachers sound awesome and the subjects a lot cooler than the ones I studied…grin….

Hey Anna.

Book 4 probably did it for you. It was LOOOONNNGGGG!!!! But, definitely worth it. Book 5 was great because it takes you into another part of the wizarding world and six is pretty awesome because you get to see some of the really nasty things that wizards are capable of. I definitely recommend getting back into them!

Hi Linsey,

Definitely check out the videos. Know before going into them that 1 and 2 are completely different than the others. 1 and 2 are a lot more child friendly and softer. They get progressively darker as they go, which is why I can’t wait to see what they do with this one!!!

Not sure who Miss Marple is, though. You’ll have to fill me in on that!

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I definitely can’t wait to see the movie and am bummed I’ll miss the premier but that’s the breaks when life interferes. I just think it’s awesome that one woman started all this with a little bitty idea. I LOVE JK Rowling’s story about how she got started and about the number of rejections she originally got. Who knew and I always wonder what those original agents and editors thought after it got huge!!!

Maybe one day that will be us!!!

Have a great evening!

Tami

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Tammy,

Miss Marple!! She's one of Agatha Christie's detectives along with Hercule Poirot. My mom hooked me on Agatha Christie when I was younger. I think she had me reading Murder on the Orient Express in 7th grade.

Oh, it's a whole new series for you!

Ana Aragón said...

Tami,

I'm like Sandy...just a stick in the mud when it comes to Harry Potter. My nephews used to read them in the dugout between innings. Casey liked when he struck out so he didn't have to run the bases and could get back to his book right away. I bought the boys all of the books. Made me a very popular aunt!

My boys were older and Jennifer wasn't into reading at the time (I think she's reread each of the Twilight books at least 4 times each, though. She's a real fan of reality TV and Twilight.)

Maybe one of these days when I have the time, I'll read HP and figure out why the hype!

Ana

Tami Brothers said...

Oh!!! I am definitely going to have to read some of Agatha Cristie's stuff. When I was in that reading phase, my mom thought they weren't appropriate for kids, so I never ended up getting trying again. I've heard several people rave about here, so I think I will have to find a book. (funny how different moms can be...)

Hey Ana,

I know about being popular with the nieces and nephews. I read the series and was able to talk about them with my nieces and nephews. Made me look pretty cool. (back then anyways...grin...).

I can definitely see your nephew reading in the dugout. I LOVE to see a kid who can't wait to get back to a good book. Makes me feel like the whole world isn't going "down hill" (I read this in an article a few months ago referring to kids giving reading for computer games).

Thanks for commenting, ladies!!! I really appreciate it.

Tami