Harry Potter is coming! Harry Potter is coming! Or should I say, Harry Potter will be here in TWO DAYS!!!
Can you tell I’m excited about this? It has been two year since the movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, was released. That’s a long time for fans. I know I’ve been chomping at the bit waiting to see how Hollywood translates the Half Blood Prince from the book I love so much.
Still, this isn’t the longest I’ve had to wait for a Harry Potter release. I discovered the book series right after the first movie was released in November 2001. There had been some hype about it in my small Wyoming town and I decided I might as well see what it was about. I immediately fell in love with the story and went right out and bought the first 4 books. Although the Goblet of Fire was released in July of 2000, fans had to wait until June 2003 for the Order of the Phoenix release. That was torture! But, I completely understand JK Rowling’s personal life was filled with a wedding and a baby. Still, I was glad to have the Chamber of Secrets movie release in November 2002 to break up that long wait.
Just because I’m such an HP nut, here are is the release schedule for the books and movies (you know, to give you a better idea of how much time we had to wait in between each release).
- The first book, The Philosophers Stone, was released in June 30, 1997
- The Chamber of Secrets book (2) was released June 2, 1998
- The Prisoner of Azkaban book (3) was released July 8, 1999
- The Goblet of Fire book (4) was released July 8, 2000
- The Sorcerer’s Stone movie (1)released November 16, 2001
- The Chamber of Secrets movie (2) released November 15, 2002
- The Order of the Phoenix book (5) released June 21, 2003
- The Prisoner of Azkaban (3) movie released May 31, 2004
- The Half Blood Prince book (6) released July 16, 2005
- The Goblet of Fire movie (4) released November 18, 2005
- The Order of the Phoenix movie (5) released July 11, 2007
- The Deathly Hallows books (7) released July 21, 2007
- The Half Blood Prince (6) movie release July 15, 2009
- The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 movie (7) slated to release November 19, 2010
- The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 movie (7) slated to release July 15, 2011
- AND don't forget the opening of the Universal Studios Harry Potter Theme park - set to open in 2010
That is a lot of release dates! As of 2008, the books have sold more than 400 million copies, creating a phenomenon in the publishing industry. Talk about cool. At the time of the fifth movie release, the Harry Potter series had become the highest grossing film series of all time. Wow! Don’t we all want to have this kind of success in our writing one day?
Of all the books, I think my favorite is The Half Blood Prince. In this book we get to see Harry fall in love with Ginny (I totally saw this as a possibility way back when I read/watched the first movie) and the dynamics of Ron and Hermione’s relationship. This book is all about the conflict with the love stories as well as the conflict between Harry and Voldemort. I could (and have) read this book over and over again. Which is why I am thrilled for the movie release.
Since I could go on and on and on, I’ll leave you now with a really neat video of the movie trailer with some of the “making of” details.
Although I won’t be attending the Tuesday midnight premier (I have to work and take a test for my Business Finance class the next day), several of my friends will be. I envy them. But, we still have the final two set to release in the next couple of years. I will start planning for those now!
This leaves me to wonder how many other Harry Potter fans will be standing in line waiting for the clock to strike midnight?