Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Saturday Review


The Perfect Poison

Author Jayne Ann Krentz (Writing as Amanda Quick) http://www.krentz-quick.com/
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons
ISBN 978-0-399-15580-2
Genre: Historical Fiction – Suspense

The Perfect Poison, Book 6 in Amanda Quick’s Arcane Society series, is a botanical blockbuster, a virtual hotbed of energy. Set in late Victorian England, this novel traces the roots of Jones & Jones, an elite psychical investigation agency charged with protecting the secrets of The Arcane Society and the eccentric Jones family.

The theft of a rare species of fern, the Ameliopteris amazonensis, sets off a deadly series of murders, conspiracy and wild passion.

Love blooms between strong-willed Lucinda Bromley and tightly-controlled Caleb Jones, a direct descendant of Sylvester Jones, the founder of The Arcane Society. Her paranormal talent is poison and she is in particular need of the powerful talents of her fellow Arcane Society member. More than their senses run hot as they set out to save each other.

If you like Jayne Ann Krentz and I do, you’ll love this book. It is tightly written, suspenseful and delivers on its promises. If you haven’t read The Arcane Society series, you’ll want to. This book is the segue to the Dreamlight Trilogy that begins in 2010. I can’t wait.

Reviewed By: Marilyn Baron
Ratings: 5 Petit Fours & 4 Hot Tamales


7 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

I've only read her modern day Arcane Society books under Krentz's name. I have really enjoyed them, so I'll have to check out the Quick versions.

Maxine Davis said...

Marilyn,

Sounds great! Victorian England. Suspense. Love. I'll have to read it - you convinced me. Great review.

Cyrano said...

Sounds like a great book!
Thanks for the review Marilyn.
Have a nice day everyone,
Tamara

Sandy Elzie said...

Happy 4th everyone,

I haven't read this one yet, but look forward to it. You make it sound like a great read.

Sandy

Tami Brothers said...

Wow. Book 6. This does sound like a neat series. I'll definitely be grabbing the first one (based on your review) and go from there.

Thanks for letting me know about this series, Marilyn!

Tami

Marilyn Baron said...

I think I like her historicals as much or better than her modern day books. I'm glad you liked the review. She's one of those authors whose books I buy as soon as they come out.

Marilyn Baron

Jayne Ann Krentz said...

Hi, Marilyn and everyone else here at PFHT. What a great blog destination!

Marilyn, thanks so much for the kind words on The Perfect Poison. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I must admit I'm having a lot of fun with the Arcane Society series. It allows me to combine my three favorite plot elements: romance, suspense and the psychic stuff. I can't do vampires -- tried it and promptly crashed and burned -- but I do like the psyhic twist.

Best of summer to all of you!

--Jayne Ann Krentz