Saturday, August 1, 2009


Deadline

Author: Chris Crutcher http://www.chriscrutcher.com/

Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: Young Adult
ISBN-10: 0060850914
ISBN-13: 978-0060850913

Have you ever thought about what you would do if you knew you were going to die?
During a Cross Country physical, high school senior Ben Wolf finds out he has a rare blood disease and has less than a year to live. Crazy thing is Ben’s okay with that. In the back of his mind he never imagined living past the age of eighteen. But Ben isn’t going to live out the last days of his life at the mercy of the doctors. Instead, he opts out of any medical treatment, ignores his doctors request that he tell his family, and sets out to live his senior year to the fullest. That includes dropping his beloved Cross Country and trying out for the football team, wooing the prettiest girl in school, driving his history teacher crazy and rehabilitating the town drunk. Sounds pretty ambitious. Unfortunately, the best made plans never seem to work out the way you want them to.

I LOVED this book. Even though I don’t like to cry, I fell in love with the story idea for Deadline and HAD to read it after seeing a raving review over at the Dear Author: Romance Novel Review site. My favorite romance author, Jill Shalvis, did an awesome job of dragging me in - hook, line and sinker. The story line became a nagging seed and I just couldn’t let it go.
Mr. Crutcher did the unthinkable and made me laugh while simultaneously ripping my heart out. I LOVED Ben! I loved his wit and charm. I even loved his screwed up family and friends. I especially loved that Mr. Crutcher did not cheat the readers on the ending. We all know how the story ends, but I promise the author makes this bearable. I normally wouldn’t recommend something with this serious of a premise, but Deadline is not like any other story I’ve read that deals with death. Trust me when I say you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewer: Tami Brothers
Rating: Five Petit Fours and 1 Hot Tamale

5 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

Awesome sounding book, Tami. I will definitely want to read this one, it's the kind that I used to put on my "library" shelf when I taught school.

Maxine Davis said...

Tami,

You did it again, I must read this book. Sounds corney, but I like a book that makes me laugh and cry - my goal in writing.

Tami Brothers said...

I have to tell you ladies that this book will eat at you until you actually read it. Then it won't leave your head or your heart.

I've added it to my keeper shelf and can't wait until my son is old enough to read it himself.

I'm already searching for other books in Mr. Crutcher's library because I enjoyed this one so much!

Tami

Sandy Elzie said...

Tami,

This sounds like a great book. I love it when the world would label you as too weak, too dumb, too young, too whatever and the person stands up and does the unexpected and does it well.

Cheers to the writer. Do you know if it's based on real life or just a great writer's story to challenge us to take our lives in our own hands and do the things we want to do ...even if we're not terminal? (well, actually, we're ALL terminal, just some sooner than others) (g)

Sandy

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Sandy,

Not sure if it is based on a real story. From what I can see, Chris Crutcher takes on some real serious issues in most of his books.

I will tell you that there is some controversy over it. It has been banned or petitioned to be banned in some places. Here is a link to an interview with him that tells about his experience with one particular issue addressed in the book. http://ncacblog.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/the-truth-screams-to-be-told-in-its-native-tongue/

This was such a small part of the story that I was actually surprised such an issue was being made about it, but there you have it...

I really enjoyed the story and am possitive it will leave every reader asking themselves questions after they read that last page.

Tami