Saturday, August 22, 2009


The Proposal

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds
http://www.myspace.com/proposalmovie
Touchstone Pictures
Romance/Comedy PG-13

Margaret Tate(Sandra Bullock) is a controlling- domineering- publishing- executive in New York. Andrew Paxton(Ryan Reynolds) is her assistant that does everything for her, including getting her coffee. When Margaret is going to be deported, she demands that Ryan married her. He agrees, if she will see to it that he gets an editor’s job. They are investigated by INS and visit his family is Alaska to show they are not lying. The plot becomes funnier and more heartwarming as they learn more about each other. Margaret, at the wedding decides to come clean, making Ryan admit in front of his family he has been deceiving them. After Margaret returns to New York, Ryan realizes he loves her. He comes to the publishing office, telling her she is no longer his boss and asks her to marry him.
I was in encouraged to see this movie by another romance writer. She said it was a good example of flawed characters. She was right. I thought the movie was great and those flaws added conflict which made the story wonderful. I would see this movie over and over. I even plan to buy it on DVD, which I almost never do. It was the best movie of the summer, I believe.
5-Petit Fours and 4 Hot Peppers (There is a nude scene.)
Reviewed by: Susan May

4 comments:

Carol Burnside said...

Darcy, I loved this movie too. Bring it with you to Hermit Week. Maybe we'll have a movie night and flawed character discussion. :)

Tami Brothers said...

Ohhh, that sounds like fun, Carol!!! I hope you guys have a blast.

I'm definitely grabbing this one, too. You guys are breaking me!!! Too many good book!!!

Tami

Ana Aragón said...

Susan,

I thought it was hilarious, too. I loved how Andrew blossomed from a guy who was willing to do his boss's bidding to one where he was in charge of the relationship.

Definitely a two-thumbs up!

Ana

Mary Marvella said...

I laughed a lot at that one. Such a knack for comedy! And Betty White, a real pro!