Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Saturday Review


Movie Review
Title: The Ugly Truth

Starring: Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler
Director/Producer: (opt.) Columbia Pictures
Link to IMDB page (IMDB.com): http://www.thetruthisntpretty.com/
Genre: Romantic Comedy

Hubby and I had one of those rare date nights without kids and decided to take in a movie this past weekend. We picked The Ugly Truth for the sole reason that it was rated R and looked funny. I, of course, was thrilled to see another film with Gerard Butler in it. Hubby just wanted to see something that wasn’t all lovey dovey. I’m happy to report that we both laughed our @$$E$ off. It’s more than your typical chic flick. It’s hilarious. It’s vulgar. It’s in your face funny.

In an attempt to boost ratings for their failing news show, Katherine Heigl’s boss hires Gerard Butler to give his take on the Ugly Truth about relationships. Although Heigl is the news producer, her disgust over the outrageous addition is ignored by her boss. Bound and determined to run the guy off, she’s surprised when Butler’s form of blunt and to the point advice has ratings shooting through the roof.

Now his advice is helping her land her idea of the “perfect man” and Heigl begins to realize that Butler may actually be onto something. But is his off-the-wall perspective suddenly drawing her interest or is Heigl’s idea of the “perfect man” changing?

I’ll admit up front that The Ugly Truth is getting a few controversial reviews. One reviewer even commented on the FANS and their “lack of taste.” My response is this - I didn’t go to the film to be wowed by a literary performance. I went to be entertained by crude jokes and a sexy hero and that’s exactly what I got (hence the R rating!!!). If you think that might interest you, then definitely take the time to see it. That’s my 2 cents…

Reviewer: Tami Brothers
Ratings: 5 Petit Fours and 3 Hot Tamales (spicy)

9 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

I had planned on seeing this one with my girlfriend and then she decided on Julie/Julia. (Also a good movie, but a totally different kind and it was my friend's turn to pick)

Anyway, I will definitely see if...probably with hubby since we both enjoy a good laugh.

Thanks for the review.

Sandy

Keri Stevens said...

Well, this Phi Beta Kappan loves crude and sexy, so you've sold me.

Carol Burnside said...

Oh, I love both these actors. Will definitely put this on the list to watch since my hubby can live without the lovey-dovey. Thanks, Tami.

Tami Brothers said...

I promise you all, you won't be disappointed. Gerard Butler steps away from the type of person he was in P.S. I Love You. Totally different guy yet still yummy to look at!

Tami

Ashley Ladd said...

I loved it. I would also love to see it again.

Ashley Ladd said...

Julie & Julia was also good. That's another movie I'd like to see again.

Ana Aragón said...

Best movie for date night! I loved it and Gerard Butler is HOT, HOT, HOT! I would see this one again and again!

Anna Steffl said...

Good to hear something positive about this one. I, too, was like of scared off by the bad reviews.Will be on my rental list.

Tami Brothers said...

Yeah. I was seriously surprised when I read some of those reviews. There were some really good ones, then there were some that were down right mean. All I could do was laugh.