Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Saturday Review


My Life in Ruins

Stars: Nia Vardalos, Alexis Georgoulis, Richard Dreyfuss
Fox Searchlight Productions www.IMDB.com/title/tt0865559
Movie PG-13
Comedy/Romance

Georgia (Nia Vardalos of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame) wants to do more than be a tour guide for a group of rag-tag tourists in Greece, especially when they care nothing about the architecture, culture or history. Their only interests are shopping, going to the beach and having fun. Georgia is up tight and ridged, not endearing herself to the group. The tour bus driver, Poupy (Alexis Georgoulis) turns out to be a sexy young man that understands the importance of having a job you enjoy and loving life. With his help and the help of the character played by Richard Dryfuss, Georgia begins to let go and have some fun. The tour group starts to jell as a group and is supportive of Georgia, which ends up helping her to keep her job. She finds love in Poupy’s arms.

I would wait to see this movie when it comes to TV. There wasn’t enough conflict in it to really hold it together. The best part of the movie was the beautiful scenery. Greece is gorgeous, and this movie does a great job of showcasing that.

3 Petit Fours and 2 Hot Peppers
Reviewed By: Susan May

3 comments:

Marilyn Baron said...

Susan,

I totally agree with you. I saw this movie with my daughter and she wanted to walk out but I wouldn't let her. I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't.

But the scenery was wonderful.

Marilyn Baron

Maxine Davis said...

Susan,
I know it sounds like it doesn't have that much going for it - but Greece?! Yes, I'll watch it. Thanks for the review.

Tami Brothers said...

I agree. Thanks, Susan, for reviewing this. It was on my list to watch and with so few movie nights available with my crazy life, I will definitely take your recommendation and wait for the DVD. I love Greece, so I'm sure that will make the rental worth it.

Tami