Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Saturday Review


Julie and Julia
Starring: Meryl Streep and Amy Adams
Movie PG-13
www.imdb.com/title/tt1135503

Julie is young, married, with a go nowhere job and living in a small depressing apartment. Her husband encourages her to do something for herself. She decides to cook all the recipes in Julia Child’s The Art of French Cooking throughout a year and blog about the experience. While Julie cooks we see flashes of Julia Child’s life and how she became the cook that America loved. As the movie progresses the parallels between the two woman’s lives becomes evident. Julie learns things about herself, her life, and to appreciate her husband as the year goes by.
This is a warm, memorable movie that I enjoyed very much. I grew up watching Julia Child on TV and found learning more about her life very interesting. She was a great example of being successful at starting a career later in life.

4 Petit Fours and 1 Hot Pepper
Reviewed by Susan May

5 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

I really want to see this movie. Have had a tough time, though, cause my family isn't all that interested in going. I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.

Thanks for the review! You made some of those odd commercials about the movie make sense.

Tami

Elise said...

Oh WOW, this is a great post & you have the most gorgeous site here. I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....

Maxine Davis said...

Susan,

I kept saying I wanted to see J&J and I will. Probably rented because I don't go much to see movies.

You let me know it's as much fun as I was hoping it would be. Thanks.

Sandy Elzie said...

Hi Susan,

I've seen the movie and I really enjoyed it. I will definitely see it again when it comes out on DVD. It doesn't appeal to the general masses...no car chases, murder and no sex, but it's a story of tender, understanding husbands who love their wives, allowing and encouraging them to seek their own success and fullfillment.

Thank you for the review.

Sandy

Marilyn Baron said...

I loved this movie on every level. My husband even went to see it with me. He asked me if I could cook some recipes out of the book, maybe half of them and I said, maybe one of them.

I enjoyed your post and I recommend that everyone see this movie. Meryl Streep was fantastic. The writing was excellent and I liked everything about it.

Marilyn Baron