Monday, October 5, 2009

PF&HTs Treasure Hunt Kickoff!

There’s something that sets October apart from the other months of the year. I’m not really sure if it’s the brilliant colors overtaking the last remaining images of summer, the unexpected chill that cloaks a person the minute they step out of their house, the smoky scent of burning wood as fireplaces are suddenly resurrected from their slumber, the spicy taste of pumpkin pie fresh from the oven and smothered in vanilla ice cream, or the sound of the wind whispering through the trees in their various stages of undress as they gradually slip into their winter attire.

Honestly, it could be any of these five senses that distinguish this time of year; but for me it’s the “idea” that as the cold sets in, the pace of my life starts to slow down. Though the moments are rare, at times I can be found snuggled up on the couch with a good read and cup of steaming chai tea. I use those treasured moments to energize myself and to feed the fickle muse that dictates my writing life ~ it’s pure heaven on earth even if for just a short time.

With this idea in mind, we’ve put together a fun contest that will allow our readers to take a few minutes of downtime for themselves. Sounds like bliss, doesn’t it?

PF&HTs Treasure Hunt!

Today we kick off the Petit Fours and Hot Tamale’ Treasure Hunt! What kind of treasure, you ask. Well, since the PF&HTs ARE writers, the first type of treasure you’ll encounter is various short stories sprinkled throughout the month. October will be filled with sporadic veins filled with gold, but you’ll have to work to find them. There will also be a treasure trove at the end of the hunt. You’ll need to find the answers to each of the questions asked at the end of the various short stories to be illegible to win this cache.

What do you have to do?

Locate the PF&HTs Treasure Hunt pumpkins on the sidebar. Each time a new short story will be posted, a link will be made available to the location in this area. Click on the link, search for the PF&HTs pumpkins at that site, then enjoy the read. Don’t forget to record your answer at the end of the story. Hoard the answers (keep them to yourselves) and on October 31st, we’ll post our final “clue” and an e-mail address to send your answers to. Once we reach the deadline, we will draw from the participating treasure hunters for the final prize.

We’ve worked hard to bring you a little bit of FREE entertainment in this very hectic time. If your life is anything like ours, you have many irons blazing away in the fire of life. This little step away from reality may be just the ticket that will help refuel your coffers. We hope you enjoy our efforts.

(Hint – clue #1 is now posted and this is a very special treat. Not only is this a story from our very own Nicki Salcedo, but it is a later chapter from the story that recently won the 2009 Unpublished Single Title Maggie Award. You don't want to miss out on this! Check the sidebar often because future links may not be advertised in the daily posts.)

27 comments:

Marilyn Baron said...

Looking forward to the Treasure Hunt and the cooler weather (enough of this rain!)

Marilyn Baron

Cyrano said...

I'm looking forward to the treasure hunt too. I LOVE FALL!!! to me, it's the best time of the year, so this little game is a welcome opener to my favorite season.
Have a great morning!!!
Tamara

Nicki Salcedo said...

I'm ready to hunt. Thank you for organizing this Tammy! Follow the pumpkins... :)

Pam said...

I enjoyed meeting many of you over the weekend and look forward to following you here. The treasure hunt sounds like fun; I'm going to start playing right now!

Dianna Love said...

I jumped on to check out the cool Treasure Hunt - where's Nicki's story?? Can't wait.

Again - thanks for an amazing weekend with all of you. Miss you already.

I've been showing off the wonderful gifts you gave me and Barbara Vey. It's all fabulous. I LOVE anything hand made - the cross stitch "BAD" bookmark and painted tray are already sitting out for display in my home. Gotta scoot. Will come back later to check out MAGGIE WINNER Nicki's story.

You all really made my weekend at Moonlight & Magnolias.

Nicki Salcedo said...

Dianna, you've got to LOOK for it. Follow the pumpkins and click on the link with my name. Then follow some more pumpkins! It is hidden on my website. Or not so hidden...

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Now I wish I'd contributed a story. *sigh* And I can't say I was too busy because all of the rest of you ladies were working your posteriors off. Okay, so I'm off to look behind pumpkins, and I'll throw in my hat for the St. Patty's Day scavenger hunt when we'll be clicking on mugs of green beer.

Sally

Linsey Lanier said...

This is so exciting. Hope I can figure it out and find the pumpkins. :)

We get to read the last chapter of Nicki's story??? I've been dying to read an excerpt by my super-talented blog sister.

The Maggies

Single Title

First Place

Absolutely amazing. I'm still on cloud nine.

Linsey

Nicki Salcedo said...

Maize isn't the last chapter. It is in the middle/beginning right before the real bad stuff starts happening! :)

J Perry Stone said...

Ha! FOUND IT! Now, to be able to read it without, "Mommy, can I ____ ?" in the background.

I'm still so thrilled for you, Nicki.

The entire room erupted when they mentioned 2nd place ... and the only name left was yours.

Also, I'm hoping you thanked your husband properly ;)

J

Dianna Love said...

Okay - I came back a couple times when i had a minute to figure this out. I found the pumpkin and the story. Loved the interaction of your characters and lyrical style.

hahaha...just saw J's note about "hope you thanked your husband properly..." Hugs again on your win!!

Tammy Schubert said...

Nicki, congratulations on the Maggie win!

I'm looking forward to finding the stories on the treasure hunt.

Carol Burnside said...

Nicki, I offered congrats on Facebook or Twitter or...somewhere, but in case you didn't see it, C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! on your Maggie win. I'm thrilled for you. Your chapter left me wanting to know more. :)

Tami Brothers said...

Isn't this great!!!! Nicki did a fabulous job with her story. And after her comments here in the comment section about the "really bad stuff," now I too want to know what happens!!!

You go girl!

Tami

Nicki Salcedo said...

Oh, I thanked him.

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Okay, so I'm technologically challenged, and I can't seem to find the comments section. If someone wants to lend some direction to my e-mail address I would appreciate it. M&M mush brain?

Nicki Salcedo said...

I can't get the comment section to work. Blast me here or by email!

Ana Aragón said...

Great story, Nicki, and love the introspection. I want to know what happens!

Ana

EC Spurlock said...

Wow, Nicki, just -- wow. (o.0) What a fabulous chapter, and a very well-deserved win from what I can see in your excerpt. Congratulations to you!!

Found the pumpkins, found the (fantastic!) chapter, THINK I have the right answers... Having fun with the contest already and looking forward very much to more of the same!

Nicki Salcedo said...

EC! You followed the pumpkins. Good student. We'll let you know if you answers are right at the end of the month. Thanks for playing and reading with us this October.

Susan May said...

Great stuff Nicki! Enjoyed the story an it brought back feeling of a first date for me. Scary. Congrats on the Maggie. You are the bomb.

Anna Steffl said...

Okay, I didn't get to read your story yesterday...too tired to even read!

So, today.

Oh man, that story is going to get scary. There's a scariness lurking everywhere...lots of tension and dramatic irony. What a great October story!

Marilyn Baron said...

Nicki,

Loved your story. It was beautiful. Couldn't find a place to comment on the Web site so I'm doing it here.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Great story Nicki!

Robin Hillyer-Miles

Nicki Salcedo said...

Thanks, guys! Carol Burnside's story went up last night. See if you can find it. I did!

Angie said...

Wow! Loved your story. Where's the rest? I want to know what happens!! Congratulations again on the Maggie win!! LOL... I feel like singing the song "I'm going on a bear hunt". Can you tell I'm in elementary school? ; )

On another note, thank you for a wonderful conference. I truly enjoyed myself and learned a lot! It was awesome to meet all of you!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! :)
Love ya!
-Sami