Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Saturday Review



311 Pelican Court

By Debbie Macomber http://debbiemacomber.com/
Publisher: Mira

ISBN-10: 1551667193
ISBN-13: 978-1551667195

I finished listening to this book on CD a few weeks ago and was delighted with it. On PF&HT, we've discussed the problem of writing characters who are "too nice," and therefore ending up with stories with too little conflict.
If you have that problem, Debbie Macomber may be the author to study. Her characters are always nice, and yet there is a ton of conflict in her stories.
For example, 311 Pelican Court opens with a couple who are going through such a bitter divorce, they can barely stand to speak to each other. Then the local judge awards their house to their two children, forcing them to stay in contact! The judge's life is no cakewalk, either. Her ex-husband reappears after leaving her years ago and begins to pursue her -- just as she's seriously falling for another man!
Then there's the group of men in the town whose lives have been torn apart by a horrifying incident in Vietnam. One of them owns a bed and breakfast with his wife, which sounds sweet and peaceful. Except that a mysterious lodger has just died there and the owner believes there's a link to the past in his death.
There's plenty of conflict in 311 Pelican Court and yet it has that cozy, home-baked-bread feeling you can count on in a Debbie Macomber book. How does she do it? I'm not sure, but when life overwhelms me, this is the kind of book I reach for. How about you?

4 Petit Fours and 1 Hot Pepper
Reviewed by Linsey Lanier

4 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

You are so right that Debbie Macomber is a great writer. She's consistent...which means that you always know the type of story you'll get. It's like going to Burger King...you always know your Whopper will be...well...a Whopper!

Thanks for the review.

Sandy

Tami Brothers said...

Great review, Linsey!

I've read this book and liked it. It was the first time I had read a book with multiple story lines tied in. (JR Ward being similiar in having multiple story arcs in a book)

Although I loved her characters, I tend to like a book with just one main story character arc and the secondary ones sprinkled in. So this series was a tad hard for me to stay connected with.

But if you don't mind following several different lines at once, this is definitely the book for you. The others in the series were good, too.

Tami

ps - I am actually a huge Debbie Macomber fan. I even have this series on my keeper shelf, but I enjoyed her books with one main set of characters better...grin...

Maxine Davis said...

Linsey,

Thank you for the review. It sounds really good. Though, I too, tend to like one story line or maybe two. If I stop reading it for a while, I tend to have to go back and review to keep up with what is happenning.

I do like Debbie Macomber. I think she is a great writer!

Christine said...

I love her books--a hero for me to follow--