Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Saturday Review


Best
The Worst Halloween Ever

By Barbara Robinson

ISBN 0-06-027862-5

Publisher: Joanna Cotler Books
An Imprint of Harper Collins Publishers

The Herdmans plus Halloween have always spelled disaster. Every year those six kids—the worst in the history of Woodrow Wilson School, and possibly even the world—wreak havoc on the whole town. They steal candy, spray paint kids, and take anything that’s not nailed down.

“Don’t blame Mr. Crabtree,” she said. “It wasn’t Mr. Crabtree who piled eight kids into the revolving door at the bank. It wasn’t Mr. Crabtree who put the guppies on the pizza. It was the Herdmans, or some of the Herdmans, or all of the Herdmans . . . so if there’s no Halloween this year, it’s their fault!”

A fun read for any age. Mrs. Robinson has a great way of telling a very funny story.

When I was teaching, my friends and I used to email each other. You could tell it
was a bad day when Nova would write: Imogene Herdman is one of my students,
or when Nedra emailed: Claude and Ollie Herdman made the Assist. Prinical cry.

I can’t help it. I love all six of those kids, not when they were in MY class, you understand, but on paper!

3 Petit Fours and 0 Hot Tamales
Reviewed by Maxine Davis

5 comments:

Pam said...

I read "The Best Christmas Pageant" every December when they were small; I had no idea there was a "sequel," and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Great review!

Sandy Elzie said...

Maxine,

Great review. I stay with two young boys at times (just keeping my grandmother skills honed) and they love for me to read to them. This one sounds fun, so I'll have to get it and read it to see if its age appropriate.

Thanks! Sandy

Sandy

Maxine Davis said...

Pam, Sandy

Besides these two, she also has The Best School Year Ever and My Brother Louis Measures Worms.

I, too, read ...Christmas Pageant every year - and laugh out loud and cry! To me, Christmas is the best book!

Sandy, I think they would like it.

Tami Brothers said...

This sounds great, Maxine! I can't believe I never found it when my son was smaller. I will definitely be looking for it.

Thanks for sharing it with us. I love your story about the teachers naming their students after the characters. There are days when I can totally see that happening.

Tami

Linsey Lanier said...

Cute review, Maxine. Sounds like an adorable book. I liked the story of the teachers using the character's names, too. Where I work, we use names more like Ferris Bueller. :)

Linsey