Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

I know everyone is busy cooking and entertaining…probably trying a couple of Carol’s yummy recipes from yesterday, but if you’ve taken a few moments out of your busy day, I thought today would be a great day to share how different families celebrate this special day.

Below is a story submitted by Maxine (Brenda) Davis. Enjoy.

What are you doing for Thanksgiving this year? Don’t you love it when you’re talking to friends about the holidays? “What do y’all do for Thanksgiving?” is often heard. It’s fun to hear who’s cooking, who’s coming, who’s going and who is frantic about preparing dinner for the first time.

Well, for over 20 years my family has gone to a big hotel in Marietta. No one cooks and no one cleans up. We all dress in our finest, relax and enjoy the family and a fabulous meal. We are always in a private room ‘off to the side’ of the dining room and don’t worry about disturbing others as we visit and eat.

Turkey and dressing? Oh yes, and vegetables, and shrimp and prime rib and every kind of dessert imaginable. We all visit the buffet, well, let’s just say, more than once.

What started it? When my parents’ health got bad, Mother couldn’t cook and even though we brought in a lot of food, the big crowd made Daddy nervous in their small house. He suggested the entire family going out. We have ever since.

That was a wonderful decision! It was very hard the first year after Dad died and years later, again after Mom. But my brother, sister and I all knew how much they enjoyed this holiday with family. It is something we treasure and celebrate.

About noon, we’ll all head to the restaurant. We’ll talk about how much the kids have grown, how handsome everyone looks and ask one of the waiters to make a family picture. After the food, there’s just the football and nap that’s left.

Enjoy your holiday, be thankful, celebrate family and think of me, not washing the first dish.

Sandy's Thanksgiving Plans

This year we have our youngest daughter and her family driving down from Virginia and our son and his wife driving down from North Carolina. I started cooking yesterday…at least the molded salads, cookies for snacking and the pumpkin pie.

I’ve written out a list of what we’ll be eating…to assure I don’t forget anything, and to remind me this morning just what I have to do to put a huge banquet on the table promptly at 2 o’clock.

Traditionally our day starts with the parade…while the turkey is roasting…and then the dog show. We love seeing all the breeds even though we no longer have a dog. Mainly because Jack the Cat wouldn’t like it and after all, he was here first and owns the house.

After the big meal, we’ll head out for a walk around the neighborhood…during a break on the sports channel…and then we’ll be back at it again in the evening for thick turkey sandwiches on white bread with mayo and cranberry sauce. Oh yeah, now that’s eating.

Our menu for this year is:Ham, Turkey and stuffing, cranberry sauce…jelly type, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole w/marshmallows, deviled eggs, fresh green beans w/crumbled bacon, cranberry Jell-O molded salad, a lime Jell-O molded salad w/ pineapple and hot rolls w/ butter. Then pumpkin pie and/or pecan pie with cool whip or vanilla ice cream.

I fully expect my husband to fall asleep in the recliner and for the “kids” to beat us at Wii.

To sum it up, Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family and friends sharing a good time and making memories. May each of you have a Thanksgiving to remember and please say a prayer for Mercer Crook, CiCi and the entire Crook family.

9 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. My turkey has been in the oven for about an hour now. Pies and sweet potato casserole were made yesterday. Stuffing is in the turkey and I'm getting ready to do a second pan. When Emily gets up, she will make the green bean casserole and Caroline and her son Isaac will bring their homemade cranberry sauce. Although we won't have our entire family this year, we are blessed to enjoy the day with those we do have.

Tami Brothers said...

Hi Sandy, Maxine, Debbie AND everyone else out there who reads this!!!

I’m sitting at the computer in my jammies, catching up on all the good stuff going on around the world (don’t you love computers…grin…).

My hubby and son will soon get the turkey started (I love it when kids are old enough to want to learn new things but young enough that it doesn’t seem like work) and I’ll start prepping some sides. We aren’t going against the grain too much this year. I am adding Brie to my cranberry and walnut lettuce salad and hubby is working in some Italian sausage into the dressing. My son is trying his hand at making deviled eggs and I’ve got the Latte fixings out and am ready to start steaming milk. That’s pretty much our walk on the wild side.

We have some wonderful friends coming for a couple of days. It will be crazy at house with 4 additional kids, but fun spending the day with people we love. The Game Cube is going full blast and we have the movie “Up” sitting on the fireplace mantle. I’ll wait until a ‘decent’ hour and then start making fun calls to family out in Wyoming to say hi.

That’s us. I hope you all have as much fun as we intend to!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Tami Brothers

Maxine Davis said...

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Sounds like everyone is busy! Sandy, the meal sounds absolutely fabulous! I'm going to be talking to you, Debbie and Tami about those receipes. I do fix a small dinner later for the 'leftovers' that we love. Well, off to the shower. Have a fantastic day.

Cyrano said...

Loved the Thanksgiving traditions Sandy and Maxine offered!
Maxine,
for years we've gone to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. We love it. Like you said, no mess, no clean up, no hectic preparations and dusting...I abhore dusting, but it's a necessary evil in a house full of allergy sufferers.
We do the same, get a private room, and eat everything in sight, all dressed to the nines.
I never thought of a hotel though. What a great idea.
This year, however, we're doing Thanksgiving at my house. 19 people!! Woohoo!
We just didn't plan the traditional TG outing soon enough this year.
Sandy,
I think your TG sounds really festive. I also like the walk around the neighborhood you mentioned. We just end up reclining on sofas like a bunch of overfed slugs.
And um, what's a molded salad? Just curious.
Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a great day!!!!
Tamara

Linda Henderson said...

I'm very thankful to spend a few moments of my time today with everyone here to wish them a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. I hope everyone enjoys their families, I know I will.

Cinthia Hamer said...

What a wonderful post!

Right now, I have an apple pie (from scratch!) in the oven. Soon it will be joined by a sweet potato casserole, then a brie cheese baked in puff pastry.

The Bride called an hour or so ago and she's got that ginormous (25#) bird in the oven.

Nothing better than spending a quiet--or rowdy :) day with friends and family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Linsey Lanier said...

My mouth is watering reading about all of your culinary traditions and adventures. Wish I could be there with each of you.

We are going to friends this year, so I won't be cooking or doing dishes either. But hubby had to contribute. He's got a big tin of dressing baking that smells wonderful, and some kind of cranberry concoction in the fridge made with wine. Can't wait.

And yes, let's keep the Mercers in our prayers. Hope to celebrate his recovery soon.

Linsey

Sandy Elzie said...

Hi everyone,

Can't believe so many of you are checking the blog as well as cooking up a storm...or a feast. (g)

Tamara, a molded salad is a jell-o base with yummy things like pineapple, apples, cream cheese added and then poured into a fancy pan to "set". Then it's turned out on a fancy plate and served.

Thanks for all the comments and enjoy the day!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm on my way to Ft. Lauderdale in the car with my husband and two girls to have Thanksgiving with my family. We're bringing the wine and my sister-in-law is cooking, others in the city will bring other dishes. We'll arrive at about 3:30 and there will be about 24 people. Then tomorrow we'll drive back to our condo in Florida for a few days then back to Atlanta. Have a great time, everyone.
Marilyn Baron