Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Saturday Review


Intertwined

Author: Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
ISBN-13: 978-037321002

Being a teenage boy is tough enough, but being crazy on top of that is enough to get you killed. Sixteen-year old Aden Stone should know. He’s been in and out of institutions for years because of the trouble he causes. Yet no one has gotten close enough to him to find out his deepest, darkest secret. That he isn’t really crazy.

Although Aden doesn’t have any family or friends to care for him, he’s never alone. For as long as he can remember, he’s had four souls living inside his head. This would be strange enough on its own, but it’s not just the souls that make him stand out. It’s what these souls can do that has him in and out of constant trouble. ~~ One can time-travel ~~ One can raise the dead ~~ One can tell the future ~~ And one can possess another human ~~ Yowza! With this type of power harnessed into one body, it’s not a surprise that people assume he’s crazy. But there is hope on the horizon. Will Aden finally get the peace he desires? Or will he find out that peace isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?

This was a fabulous young adult story. Being a “judge a book by its cover” type of person, I was immediately hooked with the hunky male torso and mysterious purplish blue cover. Once I read the story, I was impressed with the whole package. I will admit there was a lot going on; but contrary to some reviews I read, I was easily able to follow the story line and am thoroughly excited to read the other books in the series. I immediately had an emotional connection to Aden and I’m fully invested in the new world he’s discovering. Gena Showalter did an amazing job of creating something unique, while giving us a fast paced story that demands the reader’s full attention. This book has it all; from decapitating zombies, to traveling back to his younger self, to possessing the body of a werewolf, to falling in love with a vampire princess. It all adds up to Aden being the type of person I would want on my side.

Way to go, Ms. Showalter! I can’t wait to read the next book in the series!
Rating: 5 Petit Fours and 1 Hot Tamales
Reviewed by: Tami Brothers

6 comments:

LisaK said...

Gena Showalter is absolutely fantastic, isn't she?

Tami Brothers said...

Hi Lisa!!! She is! I LOVE her stories and I was hooked with this cover the first time I saw it. It made for a long 3 months waiting for the book to come out. Seriously, I loved this story (even without all the sexy scenes Gena is known for...grin...).

Thanks for commenting!

Tami

Debbie Kaufman said...

I saw the cover before release and agree that it is very intriguing. Glad to hear that the story lives up to the cover. I've been wanting to read this one!

LisaK said...

Tami, there's an article about how the cover was made on Gena's site. I've had no idea what's exactly done and found it very interesting.

Ana Aragón said...

Tami,

I was looking for another series to get my daughter hooked on...she's a big Twilight fan. In fact, we're going to see the second movie on Thursday at midnight!

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Anna! This is a fun series, but it sucks that there is such a long wait until the next one comes up (summer 2010). But it is definitely worth getting hooked on. Gena Showalter has some terrific stories I'm sure your daughter would love.

Tami