Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Saturday Review


*** Note: May contain spoilers***
Death Angel
Linda Howard
Single Title
Ballantine Publishing
ISBN: 978-0-345-48655

A great writer can take characters with major flaws and make the reader cheer for them. That is just what Linda Howard does in Death Angel.
Drea Rousseau is the kept woman of a drug lord. When Simon ( the reader is never sure what his real name is) a hired killer, demands four hours of sex with Drea as payment for his services, the drug lord agrees. Drea is devastated to be treated as nothing. During her four hours with the killer she feels a connection to the cool, but gentle hit man. Afterwards she asks him to take her with him but he refuses. Drea knows she can no longer be the drug lord’s mistress. Not the bimbo she has made everyone believe she is, she escapes the drug lord and steals two million dollars of his money.

The drug lord wants her dead and sends Simon to do the job. Simon doesn’t know if he will actually kill Drea but he does chase her across the country. When Drea is in a serious auto accident and pronounced dead she discovers it isn’t her time. With a second chance at life, she wants to do it differently. Simon finds out she is alive and he watches over her. One night Drea catches him watching her. He goes to her house and they both realize meeting each other has changed their lives. They want a life together.

Drea also realizes that she can’t let her ex-drug lord boyfriend continue to hurt others. When she goes to the FBI to offer her help which will put her in danger, Simon refuses to let Drea do it. He kills the drug lord himself.

I’m a Linda Howard fan and therefore I enjoyed this book. These characters were not people that I would root for in my everyday life but being pulled into theirs I started to sympathize with them. I wanted them to get together and find happiness. Interesting read.

Rating: 4 Petit Fours and 4 Hot Tamales
Reviewed: By Susan May

3 comments:

Tami Brothers said...

Wow. I had good intentions of thanking you for the review but not really sure if I would be interested in this book.

But seriously, you grabbed my attention. I'm not sure I would root for them myself, but I really like the 'idea' of their story. GREAT review!!!!

Tami

Debbie Kaufman said...

I loved this book. Howard does such a great job of making these characters sympathetic that the reader invests in them despite the moral issues. Sign of a great writer when they can get the reader to go along despite these major flaws.

Carol Burnside said...

Interesting. I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, but it's fascinating to think she might be able to make me care about such characters.