Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Special Thanks to a Special Group



Giving Thanks

Today, I give thanks for so many things. If I tried to list them all, you wouldn’t get through reading this blog until your grandchildren were old and feeble and ready for the home.

But list a few, I must.

I’m thankful for life. Never again will I wish even a second of it gone. No more thoughts of wanting the day or week or month to be over, even when they are less than perfect. No more “I can’t wait until . . .” Yes, I can. And I will savor every second until that time I’m looking forward to.

I’m thankful for God being more stubborn than I am, and not letting me get my way when it’s not in my best interest, or the best interest of my family. He’s saved me from disaster more than once.

I’m thankful for seatbelts and the infinite wisdom of those who invented them and those who fought to make it a law to wear them when riding and driving in cars.

I’m thankful for doctors and nurses and the decision they made early in their lives to go to school longer than most, suffer through sleepless nights as interns, and the dedication to their work.

I’m thankful for scientists who develop medicine and machines to help those doctors and nurses do their jobs even better.

I’m thankful for my parents who instilled in me the love of God so that I might instill that love in my own children, so that they would make the decisions they’ve made in life and would meet the people they have met.

I’m thankful I became burned out as a math teacher and left that career early. It was a wonderful job, and I’m thankful for the students I encountered, but had I not left, I would not now be on this blog.

I’m thankful for those in Hollywood who love to write screenplays for television, especially those who wrote and developed Sliders. Had they not, I wouldn’t have developed a love of writing. And again, I would not be on this blog.

I am most thankful at this moment for my wonderful blog sisters and my GRW sisters who have so graciously visited, prayed, commented, and encouraged me during the recent tragedy of dealing with my husband’s head-on collision with another vehicle.

This writing community has lifted me up and brightened my day when I didn’t feel like doing anything but crawling in a hole and moaning. If I were to become the most prolific writer in the world, I could not convey in words how much the love and support from my sister writers has meant to me.

This Thanksgiving, I will sit down at the table and give thanks for everything in my life, from the most insignificant dust bunny under the bed to the most important special angel sitting beside me – my husband.

Thank you, one and all, for your love and support. I pray for each one of you to live life and enjoy every moment. May the words of your heart and imagination flow to the page and bring you joy.

CiCi Barnes

16 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

We're all thankful that you are a part of us, CiCi!

Tami Brothers said...

Hi Cici!

I can’t imagine what you are going through right now. My heart and prayers are with you and your family.

I want to thank you for reminding me how important it is not to take things for granted. Too often lately, I’ve found myself barreling through life. Just yesterday I commented on how quickly the year has gone. With six months left until I graduate, I also said I can’t wait until May. Like you said, wishing away time is not the answer.

I try to remember to make the most of every day and be thankful for all the ups and downs. Everything has a reason and, although we may not see why this lesson is so important to us at the moment, I know a few years down the road it usually becomes crystal clear. We just have to be patient until then (not my strong point).

Thank you for these gentle reminders…grin… Thank you for being one my critique partners. I am definitely working on those excessive had and was words. Thank you for everything you did for us at M&M. Without you, no one would have known where they were supposed to go (another big grin). Thank you for being a fellow contributor to our fabulous FREE read, Aspen Expose’ (that was a hoot to participate in!). Thank you for being a fellow GRW chapter mate and sitting with me at numerous ‘scary’ meetings. And THANK YOU for being a part of PF&HT! It is a pleasure being a ‘sister’ to you and the other ladies!

Hugs!!!

Tami

Debbie Kaufman said...

BTW: For those of you who know and love CiCi, you can keep up with Mercer's progress @ www.mercercrook.weebly.com

Sandy Elzie said...

CiCi,

Hey lady, thanks for taking out time to write such a moving post. Yes, we all get so wrapped up in LIFE, that we let life speed by us and we just sigh and say we're too busy without realizing that we need to change some things.

I'm a firm believer that "things" happen for a reason and even though we may never know (on this earth) what the reason is, God knows and is using Mercer's situation for His reason. He is also using you and your family. You're a light for those around you...maintaining your faith in a dark moment. Your sisters are behind you 100%

We love you and continue to pray, and never forget that we're thankful for the opportunity to know you.

Sandy

Susan May said...

CiCi,
We are thankful for you and what you mean to our group. You're right, we have to be thankful for even the small things in life. Each moment counts.

Cyrano said...

What a heartfelt, inspiring post, Cici.
I am thankful for many things too, as I'm sure we all are.
Most of all, I'm thankful for my husband. He's wonderfully patient and kind, respectful and loving and no other man on earth would put up with a crazy, eccentric, fiery, high maintenance girl like me but him. It's true...opposites do attract. And thank God for that.
There are loads of other things I'm thankful for, but of course, it would take too long to list them all. But your post has reminded me to count my many blessings and give thanks to those who have given them to me.
Have a glorious morning, and a productive day,
Tamara

TerriOsburn said...

This is a beautiful post. Prayers are a powerful thing, and I'm happy to hear your angel is still there beside you. And the other angels that are sitting there beside you too. :)

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy and live every day.

Carol Burnside said...

Cici,
We all have a lot to be thankful for, don't we?

You are one strong woman. Keep the faith and your positive attitude. I'm sure that's encouraging to Mercer and helps him get through the long days he's enduring right now.

Hugs.

Maxine Davis said...

Cici,

Loved the post. You are so very right and I think you made us all take a deep breath and appreciate what is before us.

I do hope things continue to get better and that you keep the strength you and your family will need.

Anna Steffl said...

It is so touching that in your time of trial you give something incredibly special to everyone.

Prayer is such a strange thing. Whatever my small, ill-made prayers are worth, I've been offering them for your family. How can I deserve the blessing of your words today? Thank you, Cici. A great light shines through you.

Dianna Love said...

Bless you, CiCi, for your courage and strength, and for reminding us to never forget what's really important in life. You have my prayers, too.

Darcy Crowder said...

Cici - How blessed we all are to count you as a friend. God bless you and your family and may He hold Mercer in the loving palm of His hand. Thank you for reminding us what is most important in life and to cherish every single moment.

Nicki Salcedo said...

Cici, thank you. I'm thankful for you and so many things today.

The rain.

My parents who still help me everyday and treat me like their baby.

My what's-his-name who is the best guy I know even when neither of us are at our best.

Great friends. Great acquaintances. Great people I have yet to meet.

Quiet.

Talking to God.

Laughing.

My umbrella was turned inside out twice today. Once carrying 30 presentations for work and my papers and me getting soaked. All I could think is "If this is the worst part of my day, I'm doing pretty well!"

We'll keep praying for you and Mercer.

Linsey Lanier said...

Now you've got me bawling, CiCi. I hardly know what to say. I, too, can't imagine what you've been through lately, but I've carried thoughts of you and your husband and children in my heart. My husband, too, is a musician. That makes Mercer's ordeal all the more poignant to me.

You are so right. We wish away time, then complain that we don't have enough. I can't say I won't do that again, but when I do, I hope to remember your words and temper my own.

Thank you for a very moving post. Prayers and good wishes to all of you.

Linsey

Ana Aragón said...

CiCi,

Thank you so much for your moving post. I think about you and Mercer every day. I cannot imagine what you're going through, but I'm thankful that you feel our love and prayers.

It's been a great year on this blog, hasn't it? I've made some great friends and am so thankful for that!

Bless you!

Ana

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Cici,

Thank you for such a touching and poetic post. You, Mercer, and your family will continue to be in my prayers, and I thank you for taking a moment to remind us of all we have to be thankful for.

sally