Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Reviews



Title: Book - - Skipping Christmas by John Grisham – and –
Movie - - Christmas with the Kranks

Publisher: Doubleday
Film Company: Resolutions Studios
ISBN: 0-385-50841-7
Rating: PG

Luther Krank is fed up with all the hoopla of Christmas. He’s tired of the corny office parties, the cold weather, the decorations that would only stay up for a few weeks, and most of all the money they spend on frivolous things. With his only daughter away for Christmas, all he wants to do is get away from it all. A nice relaxing week on a Caribbean cruise will be just the thing to take his mind off of the holidays. He thought the hardest part was going to be convincing his wife this was a good idea. Little did he know that Skipping Christmas was not going to be an easy task, especially if their neighbors have anything to say about it.

Their neighbors have decided the Kranks lack of interest in the holiday is just plain selfish. They begin a campaign to get the couple back into the Christmas spirit. Whether they like it or not. When Luther is just hours away from winning, he’s thrown for a loop when his daughter decides she’s returning for a visit with her new fiancé. Now the Kranks must rely on the very people they have alienated the last month to help them bring the holiday spirit home. Not only do they learn the true meaning of Christmas, but they also learn the true meaning of friendship.

Skipping Christmas is my all time favorite holiday book and one I read every year. John Grisham allows the reader to feel the haunting loss of a family member during one of the most important holidays of the year, while tickling the reader’s funny bone with slapstick pranks pulled by both Luther and his neighbors. The battle over raising Frosty took on a life of its own. Since the release of the movie, Christmas with the Kranks, I’ve added watching it with my family as a new tradition. With Tim Allen playing Luther Krank, it has quickly become a favorite for the rest of my family, too. Allen’s quirky humor definitely makes this movie one you don’t want to miss.

The book and the movie bring different experiences to the story, so definitely check them both out. I think you will find them BOTH irresistible.

Reviewer: Tami Brothers
Rating(s): 5 Petit Fours, 1 Hot Tamale (tame but some sexual tension)

6 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

Hi Tami,

I have to admit that I've heard of this book, but haven't read it...yet. If you read it every year, it's GOT to be good to read at least once. (G)

Thanks for the great review.

Sandy

Pam said...

Hi Tami,

Thanks for the review! I picked up a copy of this book last December, but never got around to reading it. As soon as NaNoWriMo ends, it is going to the top of my stack.

Hey, I'm doing a giveaway at my blog site this week. Check it out at http://pamasberry.com.

Pam

Cyrano said...

Hey, thanks for the review.
Like Sandy said, if you read it every year, it must be good.
I think I'll give it a go.
Have a lovely Thanksgiving!!!
Tamara

Maxine Davis said...

Tami,

Good review. I've skipped it so far, but I think you've talked me into trying it!

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Ladies! This is definitely a fun and easy book to read. It really goes fast and you will find yourself laughing many times throughout the story.

Happy reading!!!

Tami

Marilyn Baron said...

I've never read this book and I haven't seen the movie but I like John Grisham so thanks for reviewing it.

Marilyn Baron