Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Linsey's Year-End Review

I'll admit it. I'm not so bright and cheery as I usually am this time of year.

I don't know why. End of year ennui. Fin de decade. Or maybe I'm just tired. As Juice Newton might say, 2009's been a little bit hard on me. Especially after events like Kate Duffy's passing and Mercer Crook's accident (thankfully, he's recovering - CiCi, you and your family are still in our thoughts).

But there were bright spots in 2009, too. Like contests. Blog sister Debbie Kaufman took first place in Chicago's Fire and Ice. I took second in Mid Michigan's Happily Ever After contest. And then there was Carol's grand slam - finaling in 3 out of 3 contests. Did I miss anyone?

Oh yes... That night in early October when Pam Mantovani switched the order of the ceremony, and the last winner of the night was announced. I can still hear the crowd exploding into applause and see them jumping to their feet as our own Nicki Salcedo took the stage, placing first in the Single Title category of the Maggies.

I'll look back to that night whenever I need inspiration.

And then, way back over a year ago, Tami Brothers caught me at a GRW meeting and asked me if I wanted to be part of a blog group she was starting. My brain said "Blog? I don't have time for a blog." But my head nodded, seemingly of its own accord. I'm glad it did.

It was December 31 when we began by posting our goals for the year. Remember? If not, take a look.

Now, it's almost a year later, and I have twelve months of wonderful memories with some fantastic ladies.

And my list for 2009? All in all, I'm pleased with what I've accomplished this year. I got a lot done. I feel I'm a better, stronger writer. I learned more than I ever could have imagined in 2009, not only here at PF&HT, but at events like Deb Dixon's workshop, Dianna Love and Mary Buckham's workshop, and other presentations at our own Moonlight and Magnolias conference.

Maybe 2009 wasn't so bad after all.

What will 2010 bring? Sorrow? Joy? A contract from an editor? Who knows? But I'm ready to face it with courage and hope.

How about you?


15 comments:

Carol Burnside said...

All in all, I think 2009 was a good year. But who knows? 2010 may be GREAT. I'm looking forward to it.

Debbie Kaufman said...

2009 was a hard year at my house, but a good one also. Thanks for the contest win mention! I'm shocked you remembered, but then, I sometimes have trouble remembering my own name so anyone's memory surprises me :).
Hope 2010 is a great one for you!

Cyrano said...

I second Carol's comment. I definately think 2010 will be even better though.
Linsey, I didn't know you took second in the HEA contest. That's soooo cool. Debbie, Carol, Nicki three cheers for you too.
And another three cheers for all the others who entered contests, submitted manuscripts and got either rejections or contracts!!!
I'm so glad to be a part of this blog. I count myself lucky to know you all.
Have a happy day,
Tamara

Linsey Lanier said...

Hi there, Early Birds. :)

Glad you had a good 2009, Carol. I hope 2010 is great for you and for all of us.

Debbie, I couldn't forget your contest win. When a blog sister wins or places in a contest, it's like we all did. :)

Thanks, Tamara. Yes you're right. Hooray for everyone who keeps writing, submitting, and entering contests. It takes courage and perseverance, but some day it will all pay off. I feel the same as you about our blog.

Linsey

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Linsey--thanks for the reminders about 2009. Here's to an even better 2010 with a Petit Four winning the Rejection Collection!

Dianna Love said...

Linsey - You were definitely productive this year and have much to look back on with joy. I'm glad you got something from the workshop I did with Mary - we have high hopes for all of you in 2010.

Marilyn Baron said...

Great post and I love your new author logo.

Yes, joining Petit Fours and Hot Tamales was one of the best things I did in 2009 and I think 2010 will be a great year.

Marilyn Baron

Christine said...

Awesome recap. I was there watching the joy in your faces for your fellow writer and that made me want to join your chapter all the more.

I am entering the rejection game... I plan to send off to all powers that be...

This is a wonderful blog. I enjoy reading it!

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Linnea! I am so glad you decided to take this journey with me. I've had the best year and you guys have made it more than memorable.

Thanks so much for the recap. This has been a crazy journey and next year I hope we see more names on that list (and maybe some even bigger news...fingers crossed... for all of us).

I'm really looking forward to it!

Tami

Linsey Lanier said...

I'm really looking forward to that contest, Sally.

Dianna, thanks so much for the kind comments. Your words mean a lot to me. And thanks for your continued support.

Glad you liked the logo, Marilyn. I agonized over it a looong time. I think 2010 will be great, too.

Aw thanks, Christine. Your words are touching. Yes, let's flood those editors' desks next year!

Hey there, Blog Mama! Yes, it has been a great journey. But we're just getting started. I, too, hope to see big things for all of us in 2010.

Thanks to everyone for stopping by today. Happy Holidays to all!

Linsey

Sandy Elzie said...

I'm chiming in late...something that's extremely unusual for me and I don't like it one bit...but I had to take the time to tell you what a great blog and also to congratulate everyone one more time.

This year has been great for me...only a few (small) bumps in the road. In my private life my grandson got home safely from Afganistan, my oldest granddaughter graduated from bootcamp...she will be a Navy nurse and my youngest granddaughter earned an invitation to train for a week with Olympic swimming medalists in Maryland for the second year.

In my world of writing, my first book came out, I sold a second book, finished two other books and have made great strides in getting my name "out there".

All in all, a fantastic 2009. Look out 2010...here we come!

Sandy

Linsey Lanier said...

Thank you, Sandy. Late or early, you're always welcome. You've had a terrific 2009. I should have mentioned your first sale. We're all very proud of you. I'm glad so many good things have happened for you this year on a family level as well.

Linsey

Darcy Crowder said...

Linsey,

Sorry to also chime in late, but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your blog today. I haven't had time yet to reflect on this past year the way I'd like to...but I am very excited about the new year and all of our goals here on the blog, as well as my personal ones.

Linsey Lanier said...

That's okay, Darcy. I'm pretty late myself sometimes. :) Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed my thoughts.

Yes, I plan to start off 2010 with a real bang (I hope), too, especially on this blog. :)

Look out 2010, here we come!

Linsey

Nicki Salcedo said...

Linsey, thank you for voting for the purple dress, even though I ended up wearing the red dress. I am humbled that you choose to mention me. Love you.