By Carol Burnside
Last year, when we started the behind-the-scenes work for this blog, I could barely see tomorrow, let alone a year ahead, so I never posted my goals on the blog. However, I do set goals and keep up with them during the year. I have a whole spreadsheet devoted to it.
Due to the move, large chunks of the first six months were set aside for getting settled in my new house, unpacking, painting, and decorating until it was to my level of ‘livable’, so I didn’t get as much writing done as I’d hoped. It seems I’m always shooting for impossible goals and fall short, which is demoralizing.
That said, I have accomplished some things, which I’ve listed below.
• Feb. – received ‘pass’ on submitted full.
• Completed a novella that grew up to be a novel.
• I submitted 2 manuscripts in 3 contests and finaled in all. So far, the results are: 3rd place with a requested full from an editor; Revised that manuscript according to the editors notes and submitted it; 2nd place with notation from agent on what to revise. Gotta love that! and the last contest is yet to be determined.
• Submitted a short story to Glimmer Train – they passed.
• Participated in the October Treasure Hunt on this blog
• Began another novel (25% finished)
• Added 184 pgs to various short stories I have in the works. (My writing ADD kicking in here.)
I haven’t yet determined exactly what I’ll shoot for in 2010. I do know that it will include more submissions and more realistic goals. I would like to
• complete more pages than I did this year,
• finish another novel
• finish 1-2 of those short stories/novellas I have in the works
• blog more on my personal blog http://carolburnside.blogspot.com and
• enter more contests.
So, what do you think? Sound realistic and reachable to you?