Saturday, December 19, 2009



The Princess and the Frog

Starring the voice talents of Anika Noni Rose, Bruno Campos, and Keith David among others (Oprah, John Goodman)

Link to imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780521/
Genre: children’s film

Disney is back, and I have a new favorite princess. The Princess and the Frog is a movie that will, blessedly, entertain the whole family. I wept like a baby at least twice and laughed even more. The three year old keep her feet tapping with all of the music and only got a little antsy with the darker moments. I had worried about whether the characters would end up being stereotypes, but I was pleasantly surprised.

As a writer, I was really impressed with the economy and pacing of the story as well as the emotions mentioned before. The movie is also an excellent study of GMC and of how a hero and a heroine undergo a transformation as a part of genuinely falling in love. I can’t really say enough about the well-drawn characters. Not only are a trumpet-playing gator and a Cajun firefly original ideas, but even supporting characters get some dimension. For example, Lottie, who could easily come across as an unsympathetic spoiled brat, has layers and is ultimately sympathetic. The ideas of racism and segregation are handled with kid gloves, but, hey, it is Disney.

When the film was over, the audience actually applauded, and I gladly joined them. I will definitely be adding this one to my library when it makes the transition from theater to Blue Ray. In the tradition of Enchanted, it takes the fairy tale concept and tweaks the story for a modern twist.

Reviewer: Sally Kilpatrick
Ratings: 5 Petit Fours/1 Hot Tamale

5 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

Great review. Disney sure knows how to create a princess, right? Since I collect Disney, I will be adding this one to the collection ASAP.

Thanks Sally,

Sandy

Tami Brothers said...

Oh!!! I wanted to see this one as soon as it came out. But with an older boy in the house, he wasn't to excited to go. Maybe I'll just have to go by myself.

Thanks for a great review!!! I am really excited to see a new princess!

Tami

Marilyn Baron said...

I just read another great review of this movie in the paper. It looked like something I'd like to see but my husband wouldn't go I'm sure, so I'm going to wait until my daughter comes in from out of town and she can go with me. It looks really good. Reminds me of our February challenge, a retelling of a traditional fairy tale.

Marilyn

Christine said...

I definitely want to see this one. I miss the days when my girl was young enough to go to the theater to see the Disney flicks. We loved ENCHANTED and have it also.

Can't believe you're a mom of a 3 year old! You look tres young, Sally!

Linsey Lanier said...

Thanks for a great review, Sally. Sounds like a terrific movie. Disney movies are good to analyze. I read somewhere that Disney was the first to use the Hero's Journey. Someone famous used to work for them. Dwight Swain, maybe. No wonder their productions have such staying power. :)

Linsey