Saturday, December 12, 2009



Rainwater
By Sandra Brown

Publisher: Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 978-1-4391-7277-3
Genre: Women’s Fiction

This gem of a book is a departure for Sandra Brown. She usually writes hard hitting suspense and does a great job with her storyline and characterization. I have read everything she’s written, so I looked forward to her latest book, Rainwater. This was a short, but beautifully written story, more along the lines of women’s fiction. It is about a woman, Ella Barron, who runs a boardinghouse in Texas and the affect on her life of a new boarder, David Rainwater, who brings out feelings she doesn’t expect. There is a romance; an uplifting story about hardship during the Depression; a mother’s unflagging love for a challenging child, and how she fights to give him the best life can offer; suspense as we’ve come to expect from Brown and a twist at the end.

Sandra Brown took a chance by not sticking to the type of book she is usually known for and as far as I’m concerned, she hit a home run. She should probably try this again. Here is a story that is set in 1934 – not considered a desired time period for a romance – contains no torrid love scenes, but is beautiful and moving. That just shows as writers we don’t have to be pigeonholed; that we can succeed by trying our hand at something new. I’m glad Sandra Brown did.

Reviewed by: Marilyn Baron
Rating: 5 Petit Fours & 2 Hot Tamales

4 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

Great review, Marilyn. I'm a huge Sandra Brown fan and this one is on my TBR list!

Marilyn Baron said...

Thanks, Debbie. I think you'll like it.
Marilyn

Tami Brothers said...

Great review. I haven't read a Sandra Brown book in forever. One of those things in life that just got away from me. I'll have to grab this one.

Thanks for sharing it with us, Marilyn.

Tami

Sandra said...

Marilyn,

So glad you enjoyed Rainwater and thank you for the glowing review!

Hope you all have a lovely holiday!

Sandra