Monday, December 21, 2009

What is your favorite Holiday song, movie and/or book?

Christmas, Avatar, Icon, MySpace Comments Pictures, Images and Photos

Sally Kilpatrick - I adore It's a Wonderful Life. It makes me cry every time. I think we all hope that someone could point out to us how our mundane life has actually made a difference in so many other lives. George Bailey's story appeals to our need to make a difference in the world. On the other end of the spectrum, I really like Love, Actually although it pains me to see things work out so poorly for Emma Thompson's character.

Ana Aragon - My favorite movie is Miracle on 34th Street ; my favorite Holiday song is by Vince Vance and the Valiants...All I want for Christmas is you...

Cynthia Hamer - Favorite song is "Oh, Holy Night", current favorite holiday movie would be "The Holiday" and I don't really have a favorite holiday book.

Carol Burnside - I don’t know that I have an absolute favorite movie, but I love re-viewing the old staples plus a few new ones thrown in. Songs: O Holy Night and Jingle Bells (as sung by Bing Crosby).

Nicki Salcedo - “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Best. Movie. Ever. I cry every time I watch it. Truman Capote’s “A Christmas Memory” is a great read. For a laugh try David Sedaris’ “Holidays on Ice”.

Anna Steffl - Charlie Brown Christmas Special and all the great Vince Guaraldi music that goes with it.

Tamara DeStefano - "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" And I love White Christmas by Bing Crosby.


Sandy Elzie - I love music...everything except heavy-metal rock and most rap. So to pick one is tough. Contemporary is probably Pretty Woman and Inspirational is Holy Is Your Name. Top Movie is: Bourne Identity series. Favorite Book: Again, difficult since I love to read, but the one that stands out in my mind is a young adult book I read when I was about 8 or 9...On The Trail To Inca Gold. I've never forgotten it.

Marilyn Baron - "White Christmas"

Tammy Schubert - Without a doubt, it is the hysterical movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Chevy Chases tries to host the perfect Christmas celebration for his family and in-laws. Everything that can go wrong does, along with many more expected disasters. By the time his house is destroyed and kidnapping charges stress everyone out, they end up having a Merry Christmas after all.

Maxine Davis - My all-time favorite Christmas book is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

JP Stone - I like the Grinch theme and Rudolph song. I like the original cartoon Grinch movie, as well as Rudolph (who can resist the Abominable Snowman?), and my absolute favorite Holiday book is, HOW MURRAY SAVED CHRISTMAS –an holiday tale about Murray Kleiner, the Holiday Diner owner, who fills in for an injured Santa. The story is served best with a heavy side of pickles, pastrami and oy.

Darcy Crowder - The Christmas Carol with George C. Scott is my favorite holiday movie, but A Christmas Story (Ralphie) is a close second. It’s been a holiday tradition to watch them every year. We usually watch The Christmas Carol the same night we decorate our tree. As for a song, I absolutely love Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant and Grown-up Christmas List.

Cici Barnes - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – song. White Christmas and Holiday Inn – movies. No particular book.

Linsey Lanier - It's a Wonderful Life. It's old. It's corny. But I love it.

Susan May - Movie- White Christmas. Song - OH, Holy Night

Michelle Newcome - My favorite song is a Bing Crosby and David Bowie duet for Little Drummer Boy. It was done for one of those ubiquitous holiday variety shows of the 70’s. Bing died just two months after it was filmed. It’s one of the most beautiful duets ever – they sing in rounds and the skill represented in that little song is so immense it just makes you cry.




Tami Brothers – My favorite Christmas song is Where Are You Christmas sang by Faith Hill. I love listening to her sing. I also LOVE the song, Who Spiked the Eggnog by Straight No Chaser. See the following video. My favorite movie changes every year, but I’m always on the hunt to find a new Christmas Carol-type movie. My favorite book will always be Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.

18 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

Well, for some reason I couldn't get the videos to play...drat!...but it was interesting to see what each person put down. We are a diverse group, that's for sure.

Look out 2010...HERE We come!!!!!

Sandy Elzie said...

Yeah! Despite my darling son messing with my computer at Thanksgiving...and adding a firewall and goodness knows what else, I figured out how to watch the videos. Fantastic... both of them.

Sandy

Dianna Love said...

My favorite holiday music are Mannheim Steamroller acoustical versions. I do like the Charlie Brown Christmas music, too.

Great videos!

Marilyn Baron said...

Happy holidays to everyone and success in the coming year.

Marilyn Baron

Nicki Salcedo said...

There are no words to express how much I adore Christmas. Thanks for the suggestion list, Tami.

May your days be merry and bright!

Nicki Salcedo said...

No one mention Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song". Another favorite!

J Perry Stone said...

I love that song, Nicki!

All I could think of while eating a mountain high pastrami on rye at the Carnegie Deli in NYC, was that song!

J Perry Stone said...

Shoot, Tamara.

I forgot about The Christmas Story.

I adore that movie.

Linsey Lanier said...

Way cool. Thanks for featuring us this way, Tami. Looks like my fav "It's a Wonderful Life" is out ahead. :) What a great list for gifts or for a visit to the video store!

Linsey

Maxine Davis said...

Tami,

Great post! I really enjoyed seeing what everyone else said!

I can't believe I missed posting a review of The Best Christmas Pagent Ever, last Saturday. I had planned it for months! Oh, well, I'll read it again and laugh out loud and, of course, cry.

I think the group covered just about everything!


Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night! (love that poem, too)

Cyrano said...

I loved this list!
Making it out was fun, but reading everyone's favorite's was a hoot.
Can't wait to see the other questions answered!

Hope everyone is done or almost done shopping. The minutes are counting down.
Have a great day,
Tamara

Cyrano said...

Oh and JPS, I actually look forward to Christmas eve when I can watch A Christmas Story over and over again for 24 hours.
My family thinks I'm nuts, but I actually get a kick out of the dad sounding out FRAGILE and asuming his major award is Italian.
Love that movie!
Tamara

Sandy Elzie said...

We went to a live, stage performance of It's A Wonderful Life at Atlanta First Baptist Church (pastor is Charles Stanley). Anyway, it was fantastic. It's, I think, $18 and includes a great meal and the show and the performers were great, especially the grouchy Mr. Potter.
Top-notch cast and costumes.

As to my choice of movies at Christmas, we always watch White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street...we have the original and the remake, but the original is my favorite.

Sandy

Deb said...

I really like the movie "White Christmas" as well as its theme song. I like a lot of Christmas music, so that is a difficult decision to just choose one. .
I like the book THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER and THE YEAR OF THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS TREE.

Tammy Schubert said...

Great post. Christmas is my favorite time of year.

Tami Brothers said...

These were awesome! I found a bunch that I had forgotten about and a few new favorite songs.

If you liked today's post, just wait until the rest of the week. Definitely share all of your favorites with us, too. Who knows. We might just make some new favorites along the way.

Tami

Susan May said...

It is so much fun to learn more about ya'll.

Nicki Salcedo said...

Sandy, I agree. The original Miracle on 34th Street is another favorite. Love Fred the attorney. What a wonderful movie.