Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Saturday Review


No Nice Girl
by Penny Lindsay

Harlequin Special Releases, October 2009

Miniseries: Vintage Collection, Paperback, Suspense and Adventure
ISBN: 9780373837502

No Nice Girl is one of Harlequin’s 60 Anniversary throw back novels. I thought the concept was a pretty neat idea. They use the same ideas to celebrate football and baseball notable days, why not romance. I wasn’t aware that the books were available until I saw a few in the book store. I bought the one with the smallest number (#9 - or oldest book) I could find. That meant that No Nice Girl was written around 1949. Being a Georgia resident, it was a pleasant surprise to find that the book was written by a Georgian.
My impressions: Sex on the first three pages. Between two people not married. This was written before I was born and I had no idea anyone knew anything about sex until TV came along. I think some of the books written today are racy but imagine what was said 60 years ago about having premarital sex in a book. There were also cuss words in it, another surprise.
The story revolves around a young girl, Anice, who goes to New York to live with her cousin Phylis. Phylis has a difficult time liking Anice, as does the reader. Phylis has a good heart and a man friend, but believes she is in love with her rich boss. Anice is very judgmental of Phylis’s life style. Anice spends much of her time lying and creating havoc. The story ends with everyone getting what they deserve. Phylis realizes she loves her man friend and he returns her love. Anice marries Phylis’s boss after manipulating him into it.
The golden rule that good characters, conflicts and happy endings make for an interesting book hasn’t changed in 60 years, nor do I think it will in the next 60. No Nice Girl includes all three.

Review by Susan May
3 Petit Fours & 1 Hot Tamales

3 comments:

Linsey Lanier said...

What a step back in time. Thanks for sharing this with us, Susan. While some things stay the same, I think heroines have evolved since '49. Thank goodness. :)

Linsey

Tanya Michaels said...

What a neat review! I am embarrassed that I (a Harlequin author LOL) didn't realize they were doing these vintage re-releases. Will have to track down the book...

Tami Brothers said...

Wow! I had no idea these were out there. I'm going to look for one on my next trip to the bookstore.

Thanks for sharing this, Susan!!!

Tami