Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome to My Space by Carol Burnside

This was my writing space when I moved into my home just before Christmas, 2008. A blank slate, waiting for me to make it mine, all mine. For the first time I have an office of my own that doesn’t have to double as the laundry/junk room. It’s in the front of the house rather than the far back corner. I love the window and the French door. Trust me when I say it has never again looked so pristine.

The rest of the pictures have my touches on the room - both good and bad. Good because I painted it colors I like, bought new furniture, added feminine touches and feng shui’d it. I have a scented candle, a tabletop water fountain and a little pet bed for the furry friends who drop in to nap. Bad because it's not the neatest office in the world. Yes, I have a tendency to pile things, but that’s a comfort thing. I like it a little messy, though having it right next to the front door means I can't let it get too bad.

My bulletin board holds only positive things and inspiring quotes. It's in the Career area of the Bagua Map (Feng Shui) and reflects the things I do to promote myself and my writing, including a contest win ribbon, and compliments others have given me regarding my work. The basket contains my thumb drives and quotes on stars given to me by Margie Lawson, quotes that spoke to me. I'm rather careful about what I post here. Only my writing craft books and hard copies of my manuscripts go on the bookshelf in that area.

I have a tall bookshelf to the right of the one you see beneath the bulletin board. Yep, those are books teetering on the edge of those shelves. Right now they're two and three deep.

As Feng Shui encourages, I only put things in my office that I like and enjoy seeing. Things such as the Mother Earth poster, a statuette of a loving couple, a graceful vase from a friend (Thanks again, Darcy!), and pictures of friends and family. I didn't set out to collect them, but bears have found their way into my life, most of them from my hubby with various Valentines Day gifts. Those have a place in my office as well.

I won't go into all the things I placed in strategic places, but the one mirror in the room hangs in the relationship area and reflects the Wealth & Prosperity area. That can't be a bad thing, right?

There's just one other thing you should know. Now that I have my own space, I pay bills in there, I plan and plot and check e-mail and set up blog posts and...just about everything but write. Yeah, I don't understand it either. I love my office, love being in there. But most of the time I head across the foyer to the living room, middle of the couch and rest my feet on a big ottoman/coffee table to write. Go figure.


15 comments:

Sandy Elzie said...

Hi Carol,
You and I are sooo opposite! Now that I have my own office, (and a bit of heaven on earth) I spend hours and hours in there.

It's all mine and I allow hubby to visit, but not to stay. (Only Jack the cat has a permit for long-term stays since he doesn't talk) It's quiet, restful and I'm hoarding it. (g)

Michelle said...

Some days I live in my studio and some days I just need to get out of there. I love feng shui - it's neat to hear how you've used it for your space.

Marilyn Baron said...

I love your work space. I would like to start over and have such a pristine office, but alas, I don't. And trust me, your office is NOT messy.

I once had a graphic designer who cleared his desk off every day. He hated to work in a cluttered space. So if at the end of the day he didn't dispose of something he disposed of it, in the waste basket. I lost more photos, etc. that way.

I am a pack rat and save everything, because, you never know when you might need it. I usually never do, but...

I enjoyed your post.

Marilyn

Anna Steffl said...

I'm coming to live with you.

Sally Kilpatrick said...

Carol,

That's a lovely space. I'll have to look into feng shui. : )

Debbie Kaufman said...

Nice, Carol! I am about to have a blank slate when I move next month. Unfortunately I'm not even sure where in the house my space will be yet.

Carol Burnside said...

Sandy, there are times I have 2-3 pets in attendance. Hubby is allowed in, but he can't stay. ;)

Michelle, I love the concept of Feng Shui. I really enjoyed the class I took by Bella Andre and learned a lot.

Marilyn, that graphic designer would've driven me crazy! My bosses usually just looked at my desk and shook their heads.

Oh, good, Anna. You do dishes and I'll do laundry, which should leave us more time to write. ;)

Sally, you really should. It's amazing how much stuff we hang onto that gives us bad vibes or has bad memories attached. Those things weigh us down without us realizing it.

Yay, Debbie! Make it your own and enjoy.

Carol Burnside said...

Sandy, there are times I have 2-3 pets in attendance. Hubby is allowed in, but he can't stay. ;)

Michelle, I love the concept of Feng Shui. I really enjoyed the class I took by Bella Andre and learned a lot.

Marilyn, that graphic designer would've driven me crazy! My bosses usually just looked at my desk and shook their heads.

Oh, good, Anna. You do dishes and I'll do laundry, which should leave us more time to write. ;)

Sally, you really should. It's amazing how much stuff we hang onto that gives us bad vibes or has bad memories attached. Those things weigh us down without us realizing it.

Yay, Debbie! Make it your own and enjoy.

Maxine Davis said...

Oh, sure, Carol, you really should clean up that mess! Just kidding! Wished mine looked half as good.

Sorry about not having the pic on my post. I put it in a sep. file and didn't go back and put it on my post--which is probably a good thing!

Your place looks great. I've been thinking about trying Feng Shui - gotta find that book first . . .

Cyrano said...

Oooh Carol,
You're a girl after my own compulsively clean heart! Just looking at your personal spaces gives me a warm fuzzy feeeling deep in that section of my brain responsible for zeroing in on all manner of clutter and eliminating it with Ninja precesion!
Great post! Cute pooches.
Have a brilliant day,
Tamara

Linsey Lanier said...

Carol,
You messy? I don't think you know the meaning of the word…

I love your office and all the wonderful things you have in it.

I had a boss once who told me to clean up my desk. After I did, I couldn't find anything.

Linsey

Ana Aragón said...

Carol,

Love, love, love your office!

When I took a feng shui seminar years ago, I found out that the view as you entered my house looked directly at the back door, which meant that money would come into our lives but fly out the back door.

Scary how true THAT was!

I am going to have my decorator friend come in and totally redo my office space. I'll post pictures on my blog once she's finished and before I start piling up the junk! I really do wish I could force myself to get rid of things that bog me down...

Maybe in my next life!

Ana

Tami Brothers said...

Hi Carol! I can definitely see the resemblance in our writing spaces and our inability to write in those lovely spaces. My husband has plans to build this fabulous desk with a his and her side (kind of like a T). He thinks if all his junk is cleared away, I’ll be able to write that breakout novel (you know, the JK Rowling or Stephenie Meyers one…). Who knows, maybe I will.

Great use of Feng Shui. I haven’t done a lot with it, but I would like to give it a try. I think the calming aspect would be very inspiring… Thanks for sharing this with us.

Tami

Darcy Crowder said...

Hey Carol! Sorry I'm late...it's so neat to see pics of your space, feels like I was there just yesterday. Miss you! I'm interested in the Feng Shui, but if I remember correctly it was kind of difficult to figure out in my room because of the layout of windows and doors. I think it's funny how so many of us have great spaces but slip away into other rooms to write....

Carol Burnside said...

Maxine, I cleaned up a bit before I took the picture. Believe me, I'm really not a neatnik!

Tamara, truly, I'm not. There is some order, true, but most days the piles get away from me and it doesn't bother me a bit until I can't find a space to put my computer. ;)

Linsey, I had the same problem with the boss, especially after they moved me out into an open area so I could run screen for 3 execs. Then I had to keep my desktop uber neat. It drove me crazy. Nothing was at my fingertips anymore.

Thanks Ana. I learned that my office is in a high-energy space between the front door and the garage. If only some of that would seep into my body!

Tami, what I don't know about Feng Shui would choke a horse, but I try to incorporate what I do know, if only as reminders to myself what my intentions are for my writing.

It's been too long, Darcy. You must come back and see me. I hope you find time to slip away and write today. :)